• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 3.6 OC on Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L>

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fliptrocity

Hey guys,

I'm fairly new to the OCing thing, so I've been pointed in this direction for help with my problem.

The title pretty much says it all.
I'm currently running my Q6600 (G0) at 3.2ghz, with no real problems to report.
Id really like to be able to push it to 3.4 or even 3.6, however every time i attempt to do so my PC reboots within minutes of loading into windows.
Ive tried increasing voltage, to no avail.
I've read of others being able to achieve these numbers, so it further puzzles me why i haven't been able to.

Here's an SS with some info for ya.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/TheFuriousFlip/CPU.jpg?t=1232794606

Sure thing

Q6600 @ 3.2ghz w/ Xigmatek HDT-1283 Cooler
4GB Corsair PC2 6400
Radeon 4870
650W OCZ PSU
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L (rev 2.0)
XP Pro 64

I reckon it's your P35... not great overclockers for quads from what iv read...

What i would do is drop your multi to 8... then try increasing FSB... see if that can make it go higher

I couldn't get my old QX6700 to boot with 360x10 but it was perfectly happy at 450x8

also i would put it at 1.45v, or even 1.5... as long as you keep an eye on temps... increase your FSB and see how you get on

Same board, same chip. Sandy is def right about the board not bein a great Quad OC'er let alone C2Ds. I've got mine at 3.4ghz 378x9 1.44 vcore for 1.4 actual, 1.376 vdroop.

Granted it's mid 50s in my livingroom, I get 25C idle on cores 1-3 and core 0 is always 5 degrees higher, must have missed some goop somewhere on the chip. 48C max load on core 0, which means I could most likely go higher, but I don't really want to attempt it with this board.

Two biggest problems with P35-DS3L are of course the vdroop, and the NB cooling. In summer time I couldn't bump my NB voltage higher than +.1v without lockups, granted it's winter now I could probably go more but would have to turn it down again in the summer. As far as the vdroop theres always the vdroop mod, but I don't feel like yoinking my whole motherboard out.

Also this board does not work well with fsb >400mhz which is another reason it's not a great overclocker. I had my e8400 runnin 425x9 for awhile but had to take it back down to 400mhz after frequent lockups.

Would have been nice to know all this stuff before buying the board because I'm quite the OC junkie, but I'm sure in the future when I'm not a brokeass I'll get somethin that can OC a lot better and support i7 :drool:

The DS3L is definitely a stable board, but yeah - not the best for OC'ing. My IP35-E is doing a pretty good job on my 2180 though, which is also a P35 board.

Back