• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista business does not recognize cpu upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blockdoc

Registered
Current config:

Intel G965 MB with most recent bios
Vista business 32 bit
Core 2 6300 upgraded to Core 2 6600
Core temp is 42 by Core Temp

Vista does not recognize the new processor and still thinks it has the 6300. CPU-z sees the 6600 underclocked to core speed at 1600!!
The multiplier is set for 6. Is there a fix for this?

Current config:

Vista business 32 bit

Vista does not recognize the new processor and still thinks it has the 6300. CPU-z sees the 6600 underclocked to core speed at 1600!!

Rerun the Vista benchmark tool, it might solve your problem.

The 6 multiplier is not really a problem, you are seeing speedstep in action. That feature can be disabled in bios, if you don't like it.

I would try to go into device manager, right click on your computer name on the top and "scan for hardware changes" see if it picks up your new CPU.

Current config:

Vista business 32 bit

The CpuZ showing 1.6ghz and a 6x multi is speedstep, which is normal, as for not showing 6600 in device manager, just uninstall the cpu from there and let it redetect.

The CpuZ showing 1.6ghz and a 6x multi is speedstep, which is normal, as for not showing 6600 in device manager, just uninstall the cpu from there and let it redetect.

Do you mean replace the 6600 with the 6300 and reboot, then shut down and re-insert the 6600?

Anyway, in device driver Vista does not see the 6600, it sees the 6300. When I had Vista calculate the "Windows system score" It does recognize the processor as the 6600. From the Vista control panel when I pull up the ram and processor menu vista does see it as a 6600. It's weird that it's not seen in the device drivers in the processor section.

With regard to speed step I can't find an option to disable it in the bios.

When I watch the core speed in CPU-z it fluctuates between 1600 and 2400. When I ran prime95 it would bounce between 1600 and 2400.

While in bios in the hardware monitor section all the temps measured (cpu, motherboard, ..)were in the 40s except ICH which was above 80. Could that temp reading activate speed step? Is it normal to be so high? When I looked at the MB all the fans are connected to power and none of the heatsinks appear to be loose. Weird.

no, he means IN the device manager section there should be a part that shows your CPU, right click and choose uninstall - reboot and let it pick up your new processor.

bios option is CE1 and Speed Step they should be under CPU options or something similar

speed step kicks in when not using %100 of your CPU to save power and heat, once your stress the processor and need more speed it UP the multi from 6x to 9x = 2400.

if you want to save power and some heat, leave it on.

When I moved from an E6600 to a Q6600, I noticed in Device Manager it thought 2 of the cores were still Core 2 E6600 but the other 2 cores it found were Q6600. Vista isn't too bright it seems and cannot differentiate one Core 2 from another. What I did was remove the two old CPUs from Device Manager by right-clicking and choosing Uninstall, then I rebooted and Vista re-detected and found the correct cores.

When I upgraded from an E4300 to an E8400 Vista device manager still showed it as the E2180 that I had previously. I uninstalled it in device manager and it now shows E8400.

Disable both EIST (Intel SpeedStep) and C1E ( Enhanced Halt State) BIOS options, and the multiplier won't drop to 6.

Edit: I just now noticed you posted the same thing in the Intel CPU forum. There's no need to cross-post the same thing in multiple forums, one thread on the subject would have been sufficient.

Last edited:
When I moved from an E6600 to a Q6600, I noticed in Device Manager it thought 2 of the cores were still Core 2 E6600 but the other 2 cores it found were Q6600. Vista isn't too bright it seems and cannot differentiate one Core 2 from another. What I did was remove the two old CPUs from Device Manager by right-clicking and choosing Uninstall, then I rebooted and Vista re-detected and found the correct cores.

I uninstalled the 6300 in device manager and after rebooting a couple times vista did recognize the new processor and reported it correctly in device manager. Weird.

I uninstalled the 6300 in device manager and after rebooting a couple times vista did recognize the new processor and reported it correctly in device manager. Weird.

I merged your 2 threads on this same subject together. Please do not post multiple threads in different forums on the same subject matter.

muddocktor
Forum Moderator

Back