• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

There will be upgrade pricing for XP --> Windows 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What if the user's copy is an upgrade version? Would I still need an even older disc on hand to prove the ownership of XP before i could use 7?

What if the user's copy is an upgrade version? Would I still need an even older disc on hand to prove the ownership of XP before i could use 7?
You would use the previous version, the XP upgrade disc. You won't need to use a previous "full version".

So, if I read that correctly, the Windows 7 license would supersede my XP license? In other words, lets say that I have two drives. I install the same copy of XP on both, knowing that I'm about to overwrite one with the Windows 7 upgrade. Installing 7 at this point would invalidate the XP license completely?

I'm not going to get 7 unless I do a dual boot. I have too many apps that will not and/or cannot upgrade to the new OS.

And yes, I understand that this article was about the upgrade version and not the more expensive full version. I'd be willing to pay more if it meant that I could dual boot, but I'd rather not have to if I can avoid it.

Will the Vista->7 upgrades also allow full reinstalls. XP->Vista required you to jump through a few hoops to do a full reinstall. A straight install with just the key would be very nice.

W7 will require a full install when "upgrading" from XP. You will not be able to preserve your data except by backing it up in some form.

Back