• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCI-E x1 cards in PCI-E x16 slots

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scottw182

Registered
I remember reading somewhere that a PCI-E x1 card will work properly in any larger PCI-E slot, x4, x8, x16. Is this true? Is this true of other sizes as well, x4 will fit in x8 or x16, and so on? Is it also true of a PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot?

Yes, both assumptions are correct. However, the device cannot be larger than the slot size, and will be restricted by the slot speed (if it is slower than the device requires).

and will be restricted by the slot speed (if it is slower than the device requires).

But, aren't the larger slots faster anyway? I mean, would it be possible to install a PCI-E x1 card in a PCI-E x16 slot and the slot not be fast enough for the card?

No. The point was, if for some reason a x16 (physical size) slot was restricted to x4, then a x8 or x16 card will be rate limited. And there are situations where this is an issue. Usually involving them forcing X-fire on the P45 chipset (where it will limit the bandwidth of each of the slots being used). It does not apply to your situation. So yes, a x1 will work in a x16 slot :)

No. The point was, if for some reason a x16 (physical size) slot was restricted to x4, then a x8 or x16 card will be rate limited. And there are situations where this is an issue. Usually involving them forcing X-fire on the P45 chipset (where it will limit the bandwidth of each of the slots being used). It does not apply to your situation. So yes, a x1 will work in a x16 slot :)

Did not know this ... thank you. So .... (sorry for borrowing your thread) but this means that I can pull my PCI HDTV tuner card & run a 1X PCIe tuner in it's stead in my mobo's 16X PCIe slot & get better performance throughout. Right ?? 'Cuz I'd love to do this ... just didn't think the PCIe1X cards would be accepted in the PCIe16X slots.

Would my performance upgrade be worth the swap ????

Did not know this ... thank you. So .... (sorry for borrowing your thread) but this means that I can pull my PCI HDTV tuner card & run a 1X PCIe tuner in it's stead in my mobo's 16X PCIe slot & get better performance throughout. Right ?? 'Cuz I'd love to do this ... just didn't think the PCIe1X cards would be accepted in the PCIe16X slots.

Would my performance upgrade be worth the swap ????

No, PCI does NOT work in a PCIe slot, 2 different slot types.

make this easy

PCIe x1 card in a PCIe x16 slot will run a PCIe x1 speeds
PCIe x16 card in a PCIe x16 slot will run at PCIe x16 speed.

PCIe cards are all backwards compatible, as in a x1,x2,x4,x8 cards will all work in a PCIe x16 slot

x1,x2,x4 will all work in a PCIe x8/x16 slot

x1,x2 will all work in a PCIe x4/x8/x16 slot

x1 will all work in a PCIe x2/x4/x8/x16 slot

a PCIe x16 card will not work in a slot smaller then the physical card, some mother board will state however they have 2 or 3 x PCIe x16 slots, BUT one or more may onlty run at x8 speeds, but the physical slot is the same size as x16.

He was reffering to purchasing a new pci-e x1 tuner instead of running his PCI card. I thought the same thing as you orignially Mr. Guv ;).

He was reffering to purchasing a new pci-e x1 tuner instead of running his PCI card. I thought the same thing as you orignially Mr. Guv ;).

Yup ... sorry for the confuzzlement. I know PCI & PCIe are not interchangable. Just didn't know a (short) PCIe 1X card (ie: the Happauge 1800) would function in a (long) PCIe 16X slot. So I bought the PCI version (Happauge 1600) & am running it in the EVGA X58's PCI slot.

Now, however, I may pull that card & put it in another PC (my old P4 2.8 Prescott) and put a Happauge 1800 PCIe 1X in the new PC (in my sig), but only if it would help in encoding, as one of the things I want to do with my new PC is use it as a DVR.

All PCI-E are interchangeable. You can put a PCI-E 16x card in a PCI-E 1x slot. There are some boards that have open ended PCI-E slots while the card would not fit physically in a closed 1x slot. You could put a 16x into a 16x slot and then in the bios limit that slot to 4x, the card would still work it just would be limited to 4x.

All PCI-E are interchangeable. You can put a PCI-E 16x card in a PCI-E 1x slot. There are some boards that have open ended PCI-E slots while the card would not fit physically in a closed 1x slot. You could put a 16x into a 16x slot and then in the bios limit that slot to 4x, the card would still work it just would be limited to 4x.

i remember when pcie was new, we cut the end of the 4x slot so we could physically fit a 16x card in.. worked ok. obviously not the most practical but it was cool lol.

Back