• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Big Thanks to the OCForums!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Malec

I've been lurking here for a while now (several months, actually), and I decided to build a good over-clocker with my tax return. Here are the prelimenary results of my labor, and thanks to everyone here, it took me a grand total of 16 minutes to settle into something comfortable:

Case - Antec 1200
MB – Asus P6T Deluxe/Palm OC
CPU – Intel Core i7 920 CPU (Batch#3842A555)@ 190x20=3.8GHz @ 1.25V w/Ultra120 Extreme running 2 120mm "Slipstream" Fans @ ~85CFA -- Max load temps are 51-48-52-49 and idles are 30-29-32-26 after 4 hours of prime
RAM – Corsair Dominator 12GB (6 x 2GB) DDR3 1066/1333 @ 1520MHz 9-8-8-24T
VGA – SLI – ASUS GTX295 (Yes, I got two. I don't know why.)
PSU – Tagan BZ1100 Modular
HDD – Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB (System Drive), and 3 Seagate 750GB Storage Drives
----------------------------------------------
AI overclock – Manual
CPU configuration
CPU Ratio Setting – 20
BCLK frequency – 190 (Temps were high 70s @ full load for 200)
PCIE frequency – 100
DRAM frequency – DDR3 1523MHz
UCLK frequency – 3047MHz
QPI frequency – 6857MHz
Cpu voltage – 1.25v (I may still be able to go down on this. I was surprised this was so stable. To reduce temps, I went from 1.33 to this :D)
CPU PLL voltage – 1.96v
QPI-Dram voltage – 1.35v
IOH voltage – Auto
IOH PCIE voltage – Auto
ICH voltage – Auto
ICH PCIE voltage – Auto
DRAM Bus voltage – 1.65v
DRAM REF voltage – Auto
CPU Differential Amplitude - 800mV
*Remaining entries [Auto] or [Default]*

As I noted above in some places, I did get the clock up to just over 4GHz running the RAM at just over 1600MHz, but i wasn't comfortable with the load temps it produced. After two hours or so of Prime, I came back and checked RealTemps, and the temps were in the upper 70s for all cores--not bad for a straight air setup. But, I'm not looking to go to WC anytime soon. So, I cranked it down a bit. This was my second attempt, and it looks like it's the winner.

It seems this particular batch of 920s is a good one, and I highly recommend the ASUS P6T to anyone looking to branch into OCing. I've played with the EVGA and Gigabyte before this, but I much prefer the P6T to the other two. Maybe it's because it's mine, though. :clap:

Any suggestions? I'll try to post some screens soon. (When I've had a chance to run Prime for at least 12 hours).

********UPDATE**********
Ok. So, I had a few errors after I went to bed last night. I cranked the CoreV back up to 1.30 and now Prime has been running for while with no errors. The Core temps went back up to 70-70-69-67, but I think I can live with that for now. Thanks again for all the greats guides/posts/etc.

Last edited:
That's a beast! It would make an awesome folder..:drool: You have lurked well, young padawan.

Unfortunately I don't have any overclocking advice for you, as I've never gotten a chance to play with the i7s.

Back