• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

181.71 Beta drivers for Windows 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Its good to see Nvidia giving proper support to Win7 already. I'm running nothing but Win7 on both my laptop and my new gaming rig at home, I built it about two weeks ago and I didn't even bother with Vista. Straight to Win7 and Windows Update downloaded and isntalled all the nForce related drivers and I installed the latest official Vista driver for the video card from the Nvidia web site and everything is working PERFECT.

Haven't tried these Win7 beta drivers though, but I guess it would hurt to test them out when I get the chace. Just FYI that the official Vista drivers have 0 issues at all!

Actually the vista drivers do have 1 issue. Gadgets will not display on the desktop with them, other than that, they are awesome :D

gonna try these when I get home though, already downloaded them to my flash drive

Actually the vista drivers do have 1 issue. Gadgets will not display on the desktop with them, other than that, they are awesome :D

gonna try these when I get home though, already downloaded them to my flash drive

Nay, I use a few gadgets for system monitoring and they all work fine. :clap:

hmm, well using the 185.02 and 182 series drivers in Win7 I get no gadgets >.<
oh well... I'll be updating tonight (i was too busy last night)

Do you have UAC disabled?

There is a bug that prevents the gadget process from running if UAC is disabled. To correct it, change the UAC setting to 1 notch above the lowest setting, or follow the instructions here: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/windows-7-gadgets-sidebar-work-with-uac-disabled/

Last edited:
I have an interesting issue that's been w/ me since the Vista 64 182.06, I think. And now w/ the 181.?? for W7 64. My clocks seem to fire up to full 3d and NEVER back down? Also, recently my 680 core overclock on the 285 became unstable. IIRC, it all started w/ a hard lock, power save, nvdlkmwhatever, then bam, no more downclocking. Instead of a nice 40c, it sits around 50 something. :(

Ideas? I do sleep it often, but it happens on a fresh boot. ? I've yet to msconfig it yet, but yeah...what's up?

Also, it clocks for ****. Still not software/bios mod for this card? I hate that these 285's have been so locked down for the unwilling to hard vmod prosumer.

Use RivaTuner and the voltage plugin for it will do the trick :p
Also, you tried patching the EVGA voltage tuner and trying to see if it works? It works with my BFG GTX295.

AFAIK, the voltage chips different on the 260 55nm and 285. To the point that hard mods may be necessary for the latter.

Do you have UAC disabled?

There is a bug that prevents the gadget process from running if UAC is disabled. To correct it, change the UAC setting to 1 notch above the lowest setting, or follow the instructions here: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/windows-7-gadgets-sidebar-work-with-uac-disabled/

Thanks for that! I was wondering why I couldn't get the gadgets to work.

:beer:

I have an interesting issue that's been w/ me since the Vista 64 182.06, I think. And now w/ the 181.?? for W7 64. My clocks seem to fire up to full 3d and NEVER back down? Also, recently my 680 core overclock on the 285 became unstable. IIRC, it all started w/ a hard lock, power save, nvdlkmwhatever, then bam, no more downclocking. Instead of a nice 40c, it sits around 50 something. :(

Ideas? I do sleep it often, but it happens on a fresh boot. ? I've yet to msconfig it yet, but yeah...what's up?

Also, it clocks for ****. Still not software/bios mod for this card? I hate that these 285's have been so locked down for the unwilling to hard vmod prosumer.

My 280 runs at full 3D speed all the time as well. I did a fresh Win7 install as soon as I got the card, so I've never seen any other speed. I'd like for it to downclock and use less juice when idle like my 4850 did. Let me know if you come upon a solution.

These are the only drivers that work with Windows 7 and my GTX295. Everything else blue screens or locks up while running games.

Back