• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

e8400 Crazy Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

updawg

StarCraft II Fanatic
I just bought an e8400 off these forums and a GA-EP45-UD3P brand new from newegg. I am using a XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 cooler with a scythe slip stream instead of the stock fan. I used as5, the line method and then twist it both ways before seating the heat sink. I also have a cm 690 case with the top and rear fan as exhaust. I have the front fan as an intake and the side panel is off. I have reseated it three times and the temps are still too high.

I over clocked it from 333 to 400 with its stand 9x multiplier.

The vcore in bios was originally 1.13 and I bumped it up to 1.2, and the idle temps are 45 and as soon as the occt load is applied it spikes to 70 and fails.

Could the chip just be that terrible of a clocker or am I doing something completely wrong?

it's a c0 chip.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:
It's solid, it's the 4 push pin type mounts where it snaps through and you have to twist counter clockwize to remove each pin.

It's solid, it's the 4 push pin type mounts where it snaps through and you have to twist counter clockwize to remove each pin.

It still sounds like a bad mount. Those snap mounts can be a real pain. Some snap in perfectly, some require so much pressure to snap that it's scary, others simply won't snap in right at all. Intel can do better than that, and should be ashamed.

Some cases have a hole here and there where you can peek under the motherboard and see if the 4 barbs are all through and locked equally. If your case doesn't, it may be a good idea to take the board out with the CPU and cooler still attached, and look under the board.

Well, with my last remount I took the board completely out and turned the cooler so it now exhausts out of the rear of the case instead of the top(I feel there is more heatpipe contact with the cores of the chip). I also made sure that all four snap mounts went through by checking the underside of the motherboard. I also removed the retention bracket of the CPU to ensure a direct contact of the cooler. But even at stock clocks and voltages the chip is 44C Idle and 60C under load. I have no idea what the problem could be.

I ordered this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233019
So hopefully that makes some improvement over the stock push pin system.

Any other suggestions? Could a chip really be this hot?

Back