• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell's shot at Macbook

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looks slick but 1.2Ghz for 2K? No thanks. I think your analogy is pretty good. In the long run I think they would have been better off using Aliendware or creating another spin-off to brand it with, much like HP did with the Envy. I think it is going to get people to think of it as a very premium product when the same company produces $400 celeron's. I think its an image thing that is going to be hard to overcome.

Wow talk about anal rape for the price. When I saw these weeks ago I knew they would be expensive but holy smoke :eek:

The price is for design and form factor - this isn't meant to be a bang:buck performance machine. It's like the Macbook Air, not a Macbook Pro.

Long battery life, more power than a netbook, super light weight, seks appeal. Etc.

I agree they're charging the 'early adopter' price though since they just came out. I bet they'll drop pretty quick to be more competitive with the Air soon enough.

--Illah

Good, I like to see competition, maybe it'll drop apple's prices? lol doubt it, but it would be nice.

Maybe I'm biased by living in SF, but in the Bay Area a hot gadget is like a hot car. When the iPhone first hit, or the Macbook Air, etc, it was more status than anything.

It's a niche market segment, like how BMW has M5's and 7XX series, but 80% of their sales are the 3XX series (guesstimation). This sets a bar, making the rest of the product line more desirable by association.

Same goes for other luxe brands. How many $8000 handbags does Louis Vuitton *really* sell? Now how many $200 sunglasses and $80 fragrances and $500 'low end' handbags do they sell?

Or maybe this is more relateable - how many Johnnie Walker Blue Label bottles are sold compared to Black or Red label ;)

--Illah

If no one has realized yet, not only is it slower than the Macbook Air it's supposed to beat, it's also more expensive (when upgraded), not to mention thicker and heavier. What was dell thinking?

Impressive looking laptop... seems like is suffers from the same sparseness as the Air though. Screen is glossy too :( I don't think it's a real competitor, not at that price point.

Back