• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will adding these fan REALLY make a difference

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrBucket101

Registered
I'm interested in putting 3 Scythe SFF21F in my Antec 1200.
also my motherboard has ~5 fan power plugs (only 1 is being used atm). So I shouldn't have to worry about that

I want to add another fan to my HSF. So that I can have a push/pull setup, which I hear drops the temps about 5C.
Additional Brackets...Are they worth it? I've seen people just ziptie the extra fan to the initial. I tried searching around but I didn't find anything reasonaby priced...

Next I want to add a fan onto the side panel. Would this fan work more in my favor as an intake or exhaust? My GPU is inline with the opening. I'm not sure how the side fan will affect my airflow. I just can't seem to picture the path it would take. Maybe go in over the GPU then rise up and out the top/back exhaust? That seems wasteful to me, but I don't know much...

And finally I would like to add another fan inside the case on the opposite side of my top hard drive cage. This would essentially put 2 fans in front of my push/pull setup. Which should pull in colder air because it would be moving faster. My case has a mount for a 120mm fan in this position which is why I got interested.

The reason I'm interested in the SFF21F is because I've already got one on my HSF. If I'm right adding a fan that does not push a similar amount of air will cause a pressure differential and not help as much. Then I thought about it and I thought it would make more sense to put an identical (or faster) fan in front of the SFF21F. That way the air entering would be colder.

With all my fans on low, I can't hear the single SFF21F at all. In fact as it stands right now my GPU fan is the loudest in my setup. Will 3 of these make a difference in audible noise. KEEP in mind that All of my antec fans are on low. I'm not sure how many dB that would be though.

The sidefan is the only one that I contemplated getting a lower RPM. I was thinking the SFF21D which is the 1200RPM version.

Am I correct in most of my assumptions? Is there a better fan in the 15$ range that I should look at?

I personally don't feel like it's necessary to buy $15 dollar fans for your case fans, particularly in a case with great airflow like the antec 1200.

I think putting one on your HSF is great, the difference will be noticeable because that fan has to blow on the heatsink's fins, and certain fans will do a better job cooling because of the pressure needed there.

I would venture to guess your case would not benefit greatly from spending $45 dollars on case fans, maybe if you try running all your fans on high you would have an idea of the amount of improvement you're going to get. I personally run all my fans on low on my Antec 300, although I did change the exhaust fan to a Scythe Slipstream (I got it for $5). But hey, if you want to do it, I'm sure you're gonna have some of the best airflow around, I just think it's overkill.

I would try simply turning up your existing fan speeds first. I took a chance and bought some hi flow case fans for my system to replace some 1200RPM ones I had, I spent almost $30 on rosewill fans and they made no difference in my temps, and were incredibly loud.
Just make sure each component (CPU, GPU) had adiquite airflow across it, and you should be good to go.

I think for case fans Medium Yate-Loons from petras are still the way to go, spend the money you save on a fan controller, and have the best of both worlds.. higher airflow when you need it, and silence when you don't

Have you actually measured your case temps? If they remain near ambient when you are computing, more case fans or more powerful fans probably won't help that much. Adding a pull fan to your cpu heatsink will knock off 1-2C.

I think for case fans Medium Yate-Loons from petras are still the way to go, spend the money you save on a fan controller, and have the best of both worlds.. higher airflow when you need it, and silence when you don't
+1 best advice so far.
Side panel fans are typically used as intake to feed fresh air to the gpu.
Not trying to start this discussion again, but I have always found that more exhaust than intake results in better overall temps.

Back