• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory compatibility question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

v8440

Hi all,

I'm working on my wife's grandmother's computer, and it has 1 stick of pc100 sdram in it. I believe (not sure) that the memory is ECC memory, but ECC is disabled in the bios. Two questions: Can I put non-ECC memory in the machine with the ECC memory if ECC is disabled in the bios? Also, can you put two different sizes memory sticks in a sdram machine? I want to put a 128 MB stick in there with the 64 MB stick, but I just can't remember the memory-mixing rules of sdram machines.

Two modules of different size is fine as long as it's SDRAM DIMMs and we're not dealing with parity SIMMs (which are older modules).

ECC and unbuffered aren't compatible with each other. They may possibly work if ECC checking is disabled in the BIOS but I'm not going to recommend doing it for stability issues...I'm not sure how well they would get along.

1) I *think* that if you disable ECC you can get away with using non-ECC

2)DIMMS (big long black slots) are ok to mix and match. SIMMs need to be put in in pairs. a 128 and a 64 will do just fine (I have 1 x 256 and 2 x 128).

Back