• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AGP ATi 9600 allocated memory question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mfisher1967

Registered
My wife uses a Shuttle XPC that I put together for her about 4-5 years ago. When the original hard drive crashed, I decided to perform a clean install of Vista Business. After some minor tweaks it was running fast and looking great using the best graphics settings.

For some reason DXdiag states that the AGP ATi branded 9600 with 128mb of onboard memory has 255mb instead. I looked at Display Settings in the Control Panel and it says that the ATi card has 128mb of memory, but also says that 127mb of system memory is allocated to the card as well. DXdiag is adding the 128mb of memory on the card to the 127mb of system allocated memory to derive the 255mb of memory total.

I have two questions for you Vista gurus:

1) Does the ATi 9600 card require any system allocated memory since it already has 128mb of onboard memory?

2) If the answer to question #1 is yes, where is the setting to disable allocated system memory?

I appreciate your help and replies - Mark

Back