• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Cooler for install on Vertical MB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

davestew

Hi all...new here,

I am having a heat issue and want to install an aftermarket cpu cooler. I'm running a Pentium D 950 on an Asus P5WD2 premium in an Antec 182 case with a Truepower 550 PSU. My idle temps are around 61 for the processor and 39 MB. My ambient room temp is around 27C. I read that some coolers (i.e. the tru120e) is too heavy to mount on my vertical board. Any suggestions on a good cooler for my application? Are Asus coolers any good?

Thanks!!!

umm im not sure what you mean by the true is to heavy, if your getting the all copper one maybe. im using a ninja hs which is physically larger then the true and i have no leaning issues. though my fans are not mounted on the hs but just the case. if you want other choices consider the TR HR-01 Plus, Mugen 2, TR AXP140(pushes air onto the mobo to cool pwms, one of the best top/down coolers atm.) other then that i would say look at water cooling, this kit isnt to bad for $79
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=202&products_id=25081

Any of the above and more with a bolt-through kit. Some heatsinks come with it and others you'll need to get it seperately. I don't feel very comfortable with the pushpin mounts.

If the motherboard is secured tightly and correctly, there are no problems with a "heavy" heatsink.

These things are really big...not sure they'll fit in my P180. Are there any issues with bolting through the motherboard? I heard they can short out the board.

Thanks.

No issues with bolting through. I ran a TRUE120 in my P180 and it fit perfectly. For air cooling, I'd get the TRUE120 or the Xigmatek HDT1283, but if you get the Xigmatek be sure to also buy the bolt-through kit, the push pins are terrible.

These things are really big...not sure they'll fit in my P180. Are there any issues with bolting through the motherboard? I heard they can short out the board.

Thanks.

You can use rubber/silicone washers to be safe. Again, some kits come with these, some don't. If not, you can pick them up at any hardware store for a few cents.

No issues with bolting through. I ran a TRUE120 in my P180 and it fit perfectly. For air cooling, I'd get the TRUE120 or the Xigmatek HDT1283, but if you get the Xigmatek be sure to also buy the bolt-through kit, the push pins are terrible.

I've been using the pushpin mount for several months now. :thup:

My Xigmatek HDT-s1283 works great. When my CPU was at 3.6Ghz, Intel Burn Test load temps were at 42C. I'm using the pushpins and they work just fine.

I'm thinking about getting the HDT-S1283. Does anyone know where this cooler is manufactured, as I will be importing it to Mexico and need to know if there will be duties, etc. charged in it. Thanks.

Well I ordered the Xigmatek with the back plate and arctic thermal. Do you recommend pulling the board to install the back plate or just use the push pins to install. I sure would like not to have to remove the board. Thanks.

Do you recommend pulling the board to install the back plate or just use the push pins to install. I sure would like not to have to remove the board. Thanks.

sounds like you answered your own question :D

use the pushpins if you dont want to pull the board, but myself i am not a fan of them, even tho they do technically work heh. dont be scared to pull your board tho, it only takes 5 mins, if that :)

I recommend pulling the motherboard even if you do use pushpins. I've used a variety backplate and pushpin heatsinks and just won't take the chance on pushpins without verification. By verification, I mean looking at the back of the motherboard and physically pushing the pin ends to verify their security. This paranoia comes from experience!

Play it safe and remove the motherboard.

My idle temps are around 61 for the processor and 39 MB.
Even considering that's a heatmonster Pentium D, it would appear there may be more problems than just running the OEM cooler. When you reassemble the system with the new heatsink, make sure you don't have PSU cables blocking airflow and that the fans are exchanging plenty of fresh air.

Last edited:
I think the bolt-through kit for the Xigmatek HDt-s1283 is mainly for helping prevent bending the motherboard, not for better contact. Seeing as how much the push-pins are bending my motherboard, I seriously doubt the contact could get any better...

I think the bolt-through kit for the Xigmatek HDt-s1283 is mainly for helping prevent bending the motherboard, not for better contact. Seeing as how much the push-pins are bending my motherboard, I seriously doubt the contact could get any better...

right so the heatsink is pulling back, as clearly seen by the bending. bending the mobo = bad....

bending the mobo = bad....
I have yet to see anyone document a damaged motherboard from bending by a heatsink bracket. It can be disconcerting but it doesn't cause any harm.

Back