• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Review my build please :-D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spongiform

Registered
Just a few RAM choices, take a look: 1600 CL8, 1333 CL7 Cheaper too, after MIR.

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006 (or if you're really sure you'll upgrade soon: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009 ) Higher quality, lower price.

Motherboard... You WILL get a board supporting triple channel RAM. Change it now. NOW.
Asus P6T
MSI X58 Platinum Cheap, but... Psh. Read reviews.
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P

Case... I'd maybe get a CM690 or NZXT Guardian/Tempest, but that seems fine. Would use one if someone bought me it. ;)

You won't need to buy a SATA cable, the mobos come with 2-4 cables.

CPU cooler, newegg doesn't have Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme or TRUE Black, so... If you want something "superb"; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608007 or if you want to stay at reasonable prices: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233029

Motherboard... You WILL get a board supporting triple channel RAM. Change it now. NOW.
Memory
Number of Memory Slots 4×240pin
Memory Standard DDR3 2000+/1333
Maximum Memory Supported 16GB
Channel Supported Triple Channel

According to the specs it supports triple channel, unless i'm not understanding something.

Just a few RAM choices, take a look: 1600 CL8, 1333 CL7 Cheaper too, after MIR.
Per your recommendation I'm switching to this ram, since it's better and only $5 more.
OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ3X1333LV6GK - Retail

XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler 39.99 added to list :-D

I'm gonna stick with the PS since I already have it(and got it significantly cheaper then list price) but I added it to the list just incase it was incompatible or something crazy.

You could save about $60 buy dropping the G15, any plain keyboard will work, I love those stock Dell boards.

i would save $20 and pick up the GA-X58-UD3R. its only $199 with newest bios you get SLI support now.

You could save about $60 buy dropping the G15, any plain keyboard will work, I love those stock Dell boards.

Right now I'm using a wireless logitech keyboard but I've been meaning to try out a nice gaming keyboard.

What's different from a logitech g15 to a razor gaming keyboard?

Those G15's feel cheep and flimsy.. because they are.

Haha, So true, Never been a fan of logitech G series Keyboards, I just think they went overboard with the G15. I mean what possible use could there be of the screen, id rather save the money and get a G11. And wats with the G19?? Needs a Power cable for the LCD Screen??:screwy:

For your CPU look here. It has D0 Stepping and from what I have read and has been suggested to me it is more stable for overclocking.

Sam

Take this advice if high clocks are important to you. D0's are OCing higher at lower volts than their C0 counterparts. It will certainly cost you a bit more so its a matter of how important it is to you.

Change the ram and get something higher speed. These have the best timings for the money that I can find this mourning. These have a bit better timings but the voltage isn't listed and I don't feel like looking it up on OCZ's page. (more than 1.65V is a no go for i7)

I am not crazy about the PSU, go with a Corsair for the same price. You could easily go with a lower wattage for less money for your set-up.

Not big on the case either but those are really a pesonal stylistic choice, that said for that price range I would suggest the CM 690.

Can anyone recommend a specific razor keyboard? Looks like they have several different models.

Well if got a Lycosa, its served me well and has a touch sensitive media controls and different lighting configurations. The keys themselves i think are sort of like laptop keys but i like them cause they are bigger i think than the normal ones. The tarantula is older than the Lycosa but for some reason in Australia, it is 40bucks more expensive. :)

I'd have to say it looks AWESOME, but I'd recommend the Dell 2209WA (check the raving reviews in the display section of this forum) since you've decided on a 22 inch LCD Widescreen monitor. Also I've seen no mention of the type of mouse your going with.

Back