• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with small business network

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

av6bk

My families business is in desperate need of upgrading their computers. Currently one computer is used for a DOS inventory program and a second computer is used for an accounting/inventory program. The DOS computer is at least 10 years old, and the windows xp based computer is starting to show its age.

What I need
3 computers networked to use their accounting/inventory program that unfortunately only supports windows based operating systems (2000, xp, vista, etc.). This software can be installed as a multi user/server. Also, they still need to use the DOS program.

Looking for a simple design such as the following.

Computer 1- Used as the accounting/inventory server and doubles as a workstation. raid 1 storage setup.
Computer 2- accounting/inventory workstation
Computer 3- accounting/inventory workstation

Assuming I dont need something such as small business server 2008 or a domain network, I was wondering if this would work

3 computers with whatever flavor of windows operating system
create a workgroup between them
setup one computer as accounting/inventory server

Now the problem is DOS. Can I use computer 1 (the Server) with something such as VMware server to virtualize the DOS program and have all 3 computers be able to run the DOS program?

If this wont work, or there are simpler solutions please let me know.

Back