• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Internet>modem>router>|Apc<=>Bpc|?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gamefan

The only two computers in this house are connected to a 10 Mbps high speed internet using a Motorola SURFboard SB5100 cable modem via a SMC 7004VBR 4-way wired router. I would now like to know if there is any way to also directly connect these two computers together to use/transfer files (e.g. movies) to &/or from one another; since there are already wires (cat5e) physically running from A to B- the router is already at the location of the main pc (Apc). I am thinking I could either unplug the cable to Bpc from the router and plug it into the main (Apc), or somehow use the fact that the router connects the two pcs anyway in some capacity. In either case I have no idea what it’s called (direct wire/?) or how and if it is even possible. Any taughts?

Apc: Asus P5K-E/WiFi-AP Vista Home Premium 32-bit (no wireless in use)
Bpc: Asus P4C800-ED Win XP Pro (w/ USR 3-comm TX...NIC)

Last edited:
Well, easiest for your setup would be networking and sharing files between.

1. Hooked up to same network. (already done by connecting them to the router)
2. Change both computers workgroup to the same thing.
3. Whatever files/folder just share them. (right-click, properties, sharing)
4. Go to "My Network Places" and whatever files/folders you set to be shared will show up.

Oh, and on vista you will have to some extra steps to get xp to to see the files/folders it's sharing. Just google it.

For more help (and Vista steps) I would google "file sharing"?

If I share everything (e.g. like my whole HDD C), which is fine inside this house; but is there added then more different danger in doing so?

Does this have an effect of what might be available to the hackers out there? IOW, unless I have a specific pecker trying to go after my pooter directly is this troubled waters?

Will this make a visible target that can be seen (from the outside), or is it more likely to be affected by the dreaded invertebrates?

(The above is pretty much the same vague interpretation of what could go wrong.)

Oh, and this reqiures no changing of the current cable pluggings?
----CM-----router=====Apc/Bpc

Last edited:
Will this make a visible target that can be seen (from the outside), or is it more likely to be affected by the dreaded invetibrates?

While this will not increase the attack surface of your newtwork from a remote attack, it does open up a means for certain virii/worms to spread from one pc to the other.

unless I have a specific pecker trying to go after my pooter Directly is this troubled waters?

Stammer...Stutter...

Very. Troubled. Waters.

Personally I would only share what needs to be shared. I would not feel very secure sharing a whole hard drive.

As for googling, try "xp vista file sharing" or something like that.

Back