• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a cable modem and Ethernet card recommendation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jbslow

A buddy is getting cable next week and he needs a modem and ethernet card I thought you all would have some good ideas as to what he should buy. I want to know the best stuff to buy and the best bang for the buck equipment too I'm not sure what he plans on spending so all your ideas will be great.

Thanks

He might want to check with the ISP to see what modems they support on their system. If he can rent one from the ISP reasonably, that would be the way to go. If not and the ISP supports it, go for Motorola SB4100 modem.

The NIC, 3com or Intel, however just about any will do just fine.

One recomendation b4 u buy a modem! Call the cable company and ask if they support the modem u plan on purchasing. I made the mistake of buying the 3com sharkfin modem, and then 3 months later after terrible problems found out my cable company cox@home didn't support this modem. So now i got the toshiba pcx1100u, which they do support... :burn:

I like 3com's ethernet.

Why wouldn't he just rent one though?

The best cable modem I read some where was the Terayon TeraJet something I forgot.

Yodums

Back