• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crappy Performance / PPD ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hmm, I have a feeling that is a wee bit low but have you overclocked the shader clock on the 8800GTS? If it is running at stock speed it might be right.

Well thats higher than me, currently at 1944MHz so at least I found out that there is a good chance I can go higher. On average you should be getting an average of 5000+ ppd. Some work units can be as low as 4200ppd or up to 6600ppd on a 353 point WU, based on what numbers I'm getting. What drives are you using? Also in the Advanced tab of the GPU folding make sure that the Core Priority is set to Slightly higher and the slider up at 95-100%.

physX have you made sure that priorities and infinities are set (everytime you stop and restart) most important when running a vm client, thats awful low even for *h**ty Wu's( I know thats a simple solution but figured id ask)

Vm client ? as in virtual machine ? I am just running it in plain old windows, xp pro sp3. no vm.

The priority is set by the client when it starts. and the 'inifinities' (affinities?) don't matter for gpu if you're not doing cpu too

Hmmm... when my gpu client restarts...i always have to reset my priorities....if this is not so then i have set it up wrong and any info would be greatly appreciated

if you're not running the cpu client, or BOINC, I can't see any reason to mess with the priority at all. It's default setting is "idle", you can choose "slightly higher" in setup to aid in better cooperation between clients.

Setting it manually in taskman is pointless, as when the current WU ends and the next loads it'll just go back to the default of "idle"

PhysX,
THe PS3 appears to be working as expected, at least until 6:00 PM CST yesterday. You were finishing a 251 point WU about every 6 hours for something near the expected 900 ppd.. The GPU on the other hand isn't working right. Here's a better stats site than Stanford:

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=455159

Looking at these stats, I can tell that you completed GPU WUs as follows:

05.30, 6pm 353 pointer x 2
05.30, 3pm 511 pointer
05.30, 12am 768 pointer

From this snapshot I see something happened between the completion of the 768 pointer and the completion of the 511 pointer. It should take right at 3 hours for your rig at your shader clock to complete one 511 point WU. Instead it took approximately 9 hours (very loose approximation). The 353 pointers completed normally at reasonable speed, finishing 2 in the same 3 hour stats window.

I suggest you run HFM to monitor the GPU client. It will tell you if you are failing WUs, which I suspect to be the case. I have several 8800GTS cards and none are capable of folding stable at 1998 shader clocks. THe fastest 100% stable clock I've been able to run on 511 point WUs is 1890 MHz. THey'll finish some WUs at 1998 MHz but they'll trash a lot WUs so badly the client can't return them and others only get partial credit.

Also make sure your priority is set to slightly higher (systray) or low (console) if you have any other DC project running.

Back