• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions on chipset;bottlenecking;and RAID.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

justinmisti2005

Registered
Hello New here and hoping for a little clairification.After reading various boards,stickys,and fourms.I belive ive come to a conclusion of my problem. And as i said ealier i just would like to run it by some people who obviously know more than me about the subject.So it starts like this, I have a HP DV9317cl which I would like to Game on a little. Started with this Notice All Scores Above 4.5 capture0000.JPG So i check my RAM Got a 1gb. I then found these..... Capture0y.JPG . Capture0z.JPG Seemed very conflicting ANYWAY; from what i understand and i may be wrong but im being Bottlenecked by this 64mb's on the Geforoce Go 6150 which is the (and heres where i start guessing)graphics driver,on the motherboard.Right? .....By the way is the 64mb multiplied by 4?having a DUAL processor and GOING both ways? SO is this board holding back my laptop by the old bottleneck theory?All of which leads me to RAID i have an external HDD 250gb and 1/2 gb thumb drive.which in theroy gives me enough drives for RAID. and since my chipset is a 430 model (RAID compatible),would it be a good idea to add it on? SORRY FOR THE SLOPPY POST......AND THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR KNOWLEDGE.

Bottlenecked by this 64mb's on the Geforoce Go 6150

No, your lack of performance is due to the fact that the 6150 IGP is incredibly slow. The amount of memory doesn't have much to do with it. And no, the 64MB is just 64MB... I'm not sure why it's showing 282MB in the other picture, but that number is wrong. Notice that "Installed memory" is 1024MB, and "system memory" is 958MB. That only leaves a little over 64MB difference.

If you're talking about making a RAID between the internal hard drive, an external hard drive and a USB flash drive... if there is even a way to do such a thing, and I don't know of one, it would be a terrible idea. The RAID support on the Nforce is only for SATA hard drives, and to get any sort of decent performance out of a RAID, you need to use similar disks. Of course you're probably out of luck with that, since I doubt that laptop actually supports such a thing. (Just because the chipset supports it, doesn't mean the machine does.)

Edit: Oh, and since it seems your main issue is that you're unhappy with the performance of your system, the biggest problem is the fact that you're running Vista on 1GB of RAM. Vista is slow anyway, but it's especially unbearable on less than 2GB of RAM.

Last edited:
Thanks for responding, I'm glad you cleared up things.Yeah ive been loking into some more RAM.This will work right?http://http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146517 .......Would the 282 have anything to do with the DIMM???? Sorry about the RAID comment, just ingnorant(lack of knowledge ingnorant;not stupid ignorant)...LOL...would some 3D software help?...after i get some RAM or am at the mercy of this IGP?got any suggestion on those?

Laptops are very rarely upgradeable in the Video department.

Certain laptops use actual video cards in them, I doubt that the 6150 is a discrete card however, since on motherboards it tends to be an IGP.

With a laptop, aside from upgrading the RAM or hard drive, you're pretty much stuck with what you've got. That's one of the biggest downsides to laptops.

I would go with DDR2-667 over 533. The 533 may work, but it came with 667. This should be good, and is probably cheaper than the stuff you found, anyway, taking the free shipping into account.

I did a little more looking, and apparently that 282MB figure comes from some sort of variable memory sharing. The IGP doesn't have its own memory, it shares the main system RAM, and I guess the base amount it uses is 64MB, but it will take up to 282MB as needed.

Is it possible to clock that variable memory?

No. It runs at the same speed as the system RAM (since it is part of the system RAM), and 667 is as fast as the memory is going to go in that machine. Not that overclocking it would really gain you much anyhow...

Well theres HOPE yet......not for this thing though....My Wlan went out to day so i diccovered it not in the device manager???????????????? I call HP just take the minicard out. I do so,>device recognized>load driviers.just fine FOR 10min.!!!!!!!!!!!Do somemore web crawling and find this of HP's site "HP has identified a hardware issue with certain HP Pavilion dv2000/dv6000/dv9000 and Compaq Presario V3000/V6000 series notebook " Call HP back yadayada;jump through hoops...@ the end of it i said im lookinng at this on HP's Site. Attitude change :screwy:,let me get ur serial number Mister Justin;;;;;let me set up a box for you blahblahblah.Long story short:
Hp(nvidia i think actually) has a problem w one of the chip under touch pad/keyboard area.....AND from what ive read the "Go 6xxx" series is no more ...I think its M series....Hopefully ill get a free upgrade...Doubt it though....Probablly just put some bubble gum on it and say "there ya Go"..Thanks for youre input guys....Be fore warned ILL B BACK!!!!!

w/ a desktop asking all kinds of OTHER DUMB A** QUESTIONS..so thanks alot in ADVANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back