• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Your thoughts on this CPU cooler.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmdixon85

Frankly I don't think that you'll see significant differences. Akasa has 3 heatpipes and a smaller fin surface area so I don't see from where performance will show.

Sorry man, Frostytech tests are something ideal and you don't find that in real life. I smile when I see in their Top 10 almost only HDT coolers which are OK on decent TDP but they don't match a top air cooling solution on high/extreme TDP (aka high frequency and Vcore).
Wait for another opinions though.

Sorry man, Frostytech tests are something ideal and you don't find that in real life. I smile when I see in their Top 10 almost only HDT coolers which are OK on decent TDP but they don't match a top air cooling solution on high/extreme TDP (aka high frequency and Vcore).
Wait for another opinions though.

According to whom? I have an HDT and I have no problems, it beats out most other coolers. I also know of about 5-10 other people who have the same cooler and love it, or have a different brand of HDT and love theirs. The problem is not the coolers at all. It is the fact that people buy these heatsinks and expect them to work flawlessly and then gripe when they don't keep their cpu's sub-zero. What do you expect with air cooling? There are so many variables with air cooling, it is not even funny.

According to a friend of mine who's testing TRUE vs. virtually any heatsink (HDT or classic) for more than 8 months now.
I love my Noctua NH-U12P as I loved my Ninja rev.B but I try to see the truth, after those years TRUE (lapped and modded) remains the best heatsink around.
Of course this is my opinion. :)

Haha so is your friend a professional? [If so, let us see some benches and tests.] Because myself and 10 others over ride the opinion of one person professional or not. And you are changing the rules here. The TRUE was never mentioned previously and now it is being brought up as a defense. Also, regardless of whether or not you loved, or were in love with your noctua, the fact remains that it is not in fact on the top ten list, thus being a moot point.

HDT coolers require a bit more attention when applying your thermal compound (e.g the small gaps between the pipes and the base) compared to regular flat base coolers. Maybe your friend hasn't applied the compound right??

Google translate this for performance coolers and this for fanless/low RPM coolers.
If Google translate fails you have gazillion of pictures to see.
Have fun.

BTW you'll find my friend here too. I dunno what professional means to you but for him testing TRUE vs. anything else is a hobby fulfilled on his money.

Haha, like I said, the true is just your defense now. There is a big difference between a true vs HDT coolers and a true that is lapped with a washer mod vs HDT coolers. Then you can add on the push/pull setup and after all that, you can see a $100 air cooling setup beat a $30 air cooling setup! Congrats on... Well nothing actually. You get what you pay for here.

Nope, it's not my defense. I said that I don't trust Frostytech tests because are full of HDT coolers on Top 10 remember? And TRUE is not on their Top despite the fact that it's still the best cooler around.
You get what you pay for here.
Agree, for top performance you should pay more.

But instead chasing me you better give OP a solution. :p

Nope, it's not my defense. I said that I don't trust Frostytech tests because are full of HDT coolers on Top 10 remember? And TRUE is not on their Top despite the fact that it's still the best cooler around.

Agree, for top performance you should pay more.

But instead chasing me you better give OP a solution. :p

I apologize for chasing you, but the way you said it, HDT coolers were ruled out in your mind and to me they are damn good. It was also a good idea since the cooler was getting is 19.99 euros and so I checked and the sunbeam is also 19.99 euros so the TRUE is going to be a tad more expensive.

I say no go. That would just be another 92mm tower cooler.

Ok, so now I've narrowed my choice down to two collers:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Arct...ce-Quiet-Intel-CPU-Cooler-775-939-AM2-AM2plus

and
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Ther...20mm-heat-sink-for-AMD-Intel-CPU-(Without-Fan)

Not sure what fan to use with it yet. Maybe this one? http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Akas...me-and-bright-white-rotor-blade-w-4-white-LED

The Ultra 120 will come with fan mounts, yes??

Found another fan: http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1523

A big jump in CFM, 61 over the Akasa's 38.4

Last edited:
Anyone with any advice? I plan on ordering one of them tonight.

Also the Freezer Extreme has the advantage of being able to fit an i7 when I finally upgrade. Is there a kit for the Ultra-120 so it could also fit an i7?

the ultra 120 and true have the same mounting so the true's lga1366 mounting kit will work for an ultra-120.

why the ultra-120?
why not the TRUE itself?
or maybe the ultima-90i if size is a problem (but you're considering an ultra-120).

Size shouldn't be a problem since I am using a HAF 932 case. So whats the best cooler out of the two i linked to??

i checked the site you were using.
get the 'ultra-120 extreme'. not the 'ultra-120' only.
it costs a bit more but definitily worth it.
this is the cooler they were debating about above.
if you can afford it, it's definitely the cooler to choose.

if you really only want to consider the two you chose.
i'd go w/ the ultra-120.

Ok found it. Is the only difference the nikel plating? Does it really make a difference to temps? Is it worth the Extra £6?

both of them are silver nickel plated, the true black is black nickel plated.
no performance difference w/ the different colors.
if you plan on going quad core and i7, then yes it is worth the extra pounds.
the true is £34.49 - mounting for intel 775 and amd am2 no fan
and the true black is £37.94 - mounting for intel 775 and amd am2 no fan
the true intel bp is £42.54 - mounting for intel 775 and 1366 no fan
and the true 1366rt is £52.31 - mounting for 1366 w/ fan
and the lga 1366 mounting bracket for this cooler is £7.46

Last edited:
Back