• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6gb to 12gb ram...is there a notcieable difference?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

italianxmna89

Registered
i was thinking of adding another 6gb of mushkin ddr3-1600 9-9-9-24 to the 6gb i already have. would it make a noticeable difference? or should i spend that money on extra harddrive space..

No, dont! You won't need it, and its harder to Overclock provided you are ocing it. I would buy a bigger HDD or something.

You ask your question, but you don't specify what you use it for. I'm running 8gb right now since I do video/picture editing, converting DVDs and playing games at the same time. I've actually exceeded 8gb in use on my system.

It all depends on what you want to do.

With 12gb, you could have 4gb for your system and put a game in a 8gb RAM disk. If you run lots of VMs you'll use up a lot of RAM too. There are lots of reasons you'd need 12gb, but for the average user 4gb/6gb should be totally fine.

i went from 6 to 12 and back to 6 lol i didnt notice anything going to 12 except for a really hard time trying to overclock my i7... if you dont do anything like photoediting, cad, ect ect then dont waste your money on 12gb

i went from 6 to 12 and back to 6 lol i didnt notice anything going to 12 except for a really hard time trying to overclock my i7... if you dont do anything like photoediting, cad, ect ect then dont waste your money on 12gb

Exactly :)
Guessing that you are getting more mushkin ram, and the lowest price is around 100 dollars, and if you have a lot of programs open that are memory intensive, I would just stick with your 6GB and grab a WD caviar black 1TB HDD for 100 bucks at newegg.

So, if vid editing, CAD, memory intensive programs----more memory
if not using memory intensive programs----morehdd space---WD caviar black 1TB

It all depends on what you want to do.

With 12gb, you could have 4gb for your system and put a game in a 8gb RAM disk. If you run lots of VMs you'll use up a lot of RAM too. There are lots of reasons you'd need 12gb, but for the average user 4gb/6gb should be totally fine.

can you use the ram disk with out it emptying when you power down

There used to be a software for Macintosh, way back when MacOS 8 was new and System 7 was still the main OS among Macintosh user. The software automatically saved the content of the RAM disk before shutting down, and automatically reloaded RAM disk when you boot up to OS. I can't even remember the name of that app anymore... 10 or 11 years ago back when AOL was the most popular online service.

It wouldn't help if you're trying to make RAM disk as bootable unless you booted to regular OS off hard drive first, then rebooted to start off the RAM disk.

SSD > RAM Disk IMO. Not quite there in performance, but SSD's will be catching up very quickly, and are more convenient than RAM Disks or even HD's. Large (well, 8GB if you call that "Large") RAM Disks and iRAM type solutions have only become affordable over the last few years (affordable in the realm of approx $40/GB :eek: ), and now they will likely fade into the sunset.

I'd agree with the RAM comments made. I dabble in a bit of everything, and 4GB has been plenty for me. 6GB-8GB would likely be perfect, and 12GB would be complete overkill with added complexity with regard to overclocking.

:cool:

That's a damn good question. I'd imagine it wouldn't work but maybe there's a way?

Yes, RAM disk has this feature built in. It will save the contents of the disk to a real HDD during shut down and load it up when the pc starts. This makes its own problems, as this takes time and if the PC just loses power randomly, BSoD etc, then the data wont be saved. (it can be set to autosave every x mins to help pervent these problems a little)

Back