• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why does my desktop resolution reset?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bon3thugz43v3r

I dont know if this is even the right section. I guess it could be a windows problem....Does anyone else experience there resolution resetting every time they turn off or restart? My resolution is 1680x1050 but when I reboot it resets to 1600x1200. Not a big deal really, but just an annoyance. :eek: On Vista x64 SP2.

Rig in sig. Drivers 186.18

Try setting it through your video card manager program, like nividia control panel, or whatever the ATI equivalent is.

Try setting it through your video card manager program, like nividia control panel, or whatever the ATI equivalent is.

Done this. I set it in the Nvidia Control Panel and sometimes I just use the vista/personalize options to set the res.

I don't remember when this started exactly so I guess I will have to go back to earlier drivers and see if the issue clears up.

Has anyone figured this out yet? Am I really the only person?

My resolution is 1680x1050 but after every reboot/shutdown it resets to 1600x1200.

Still does it with the latest WHQL's. Vista SP2 (64 bit)

Is the screen correctly identified in the nVidia CP? It might be that it's incorrectly identifying the monitor as a different model, with a slightly different resolution, but I could be wrong.

Have you tried driver sweeping all of the display adapters and reinstalling?

Is 1600x1200 the default resolution of the monitor? If so, why are you trying to run a widescreen resolution on a full screem monitor?

1680x1050 is my native resolution (22" ws monitor).

Only thing I have installed for o/c and temp monitoring is EVGA Precision.

Looks like my monitor is being recognized fine....I am puzzled to say the least.
Started happening about 3 driver sets ago and has done it ever since. Yes I driver sweep.
103hq1i.jpg

the problam is simple... use xp.. I've experienced serious problems in any aspect when using vista and.. even windows 7.. the core just has these bugs... it's a windows issue.. many of these bugs are widespread

the problam is simple... use xp.. I've experienced serious problems in any aspect when using vista and.. even windows 7.. the core just has these bugs... it's a windows issue.. many of these bugs are widespread

Not the answer I am looking for. IMO XP sucks, its obsolete and insecure.

Hahaha. I have to somewhat agree. Not on the security because I have really only had one issue with that, but the obsolete-ness is incredible! I hate using other peoples' computers.

What is the latest bios version you have tried? And what is the oldest? I have to run 180.xx drivers to get my gpu benching stable in vista. I used to be able to play games 24/7 @ 825/2020/2600 on xp, but moving to vista the stable numbers slowly dropped and now I sit at 750/1900/2400. Sigh.

Not the answer I am looking for. IMO XP sucks, its obsolete and insecure.

XP does not suck! atleast it's stable and every single application runs normally.. on vista... nothing ****ing works... if encounter some freeze or driver incompability.. the os is dead for me.. even windows 7 is too buggy

I had no problems with vista, the service packs worked wonders with vista... Windows 7 seems fine, plus you have to remember since its not released yet the drivers are still catching up, happens with every new OS... only reason XP is so stable is because its been around for so long...

Plus he said it was his opinion... and i agree

185.85 seems to fix this bug for me. The 186.18 makes it come back and then 190.38 its still there.

Guess I will stick with these 185's for now. Thx guys.

And ty sandy for caring to read my post word for word and notice when an opinion is given.

185.85 seems to fix this bug for me. The 186.18 makes it come back and then 190.38 its still there.

Guess I will stick with these 185's for now. Thx guys.

And ty sandy for caring to read my post word for word and notice when an opinion is given.

If it really bothers you, you could grab http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10110&cs_id=1011003&p_id=3048&seq=1&format=2 or similar and it would probably make the problem go away, I don't know if it's worth $50 for you though.

edit: Also try grabbing http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/EDID-Viewer.shtml and seeing if it turns up anything wonky.

Last edited:
Back