• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much power do I need (n00b)?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RoarzGoHere

Just wondering how much power I need. I don't want to overspend on my upcoming build, but I do not want to torpedo it with a cheap PSU. Here is what I need to power:
A Q9550 overclocked to (400 x 8 = 3.2 GHz), 5 HDDs, and a GTX 260 (216 core) XFX Black, and a pair of 16x DVD RWs Hopefully the PSU will have a EPS compatible pin (8, not just 4) because I am going to use an EP45-UD3P.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give. Just wattages is cool, but I want to see exactly which odels people suggest.

Just wondering how much power I need. I don't want to overspend on my upcoming build, but I do not want to torpedo it with a cheap PSU. Here is what I need to power:
A Q9550 overclocked to (400 x 8 = 3.2 GHz), 5 HDDs, and a GTX 260 (216 core) XFX Black, and a pair of 16x DVD RWs Hopefully the PSU will have a EPS compatible pin (8, not just 4) because I am going to use an EP45-UD3P.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give. Just wattages is cool, but I want to see exactly which odels people suggest.

Anything listed in this "Sticky" in the 550W range will work nicely pending having an 8 pin 12v along with any sale prices:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=589708

If you go as low as 550 just don't get a bargain basement unit. 550W might be enough but it needs to actually put out 550 and not be an inflated number like so often is the case with cheap PSUs. Having said that, I would feel more comfortable recommending a 600W or better given your system stats.

Back