• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HP LaserJet 4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jediobi1

just got one of these things for free and was wondering if any of you have/or own(ed) one and what i need to look out for and if possible the best way to clean it etc

I work with those things pretty regularly. Easiest thing to do is just run a few pages through it, see if it prints right.

The only thing you really have to watch out for is that the fuser is still in good shape... the heater bulbs can burn out, and the foam rubber rollers can degrade. The fuser is pretty easy to pull out, and replacements aren't that expensive, so that's not really a big deal.

As far as cleaning it, other than blowing the dust out with some compressed air, it shouldn't really need much.

get a cleaning kit for it and a rebuild kit, you will need to do that about 1x for the next 10 years.

I had a Laserjet 3 that I tossed solely because I NEVER used it, it had the OLD printer connection and parts for it at the time were a PITA to get.

I really want a LJ4 now though, they are pretty much indestructable.

get a cleaning kit for it and a rebuild kit, you will need to do that about 1x for the next 10 years.

I had a Laserjet 3 that I tossed solely because I NEVER used it, it had the OLD printer connection and parts for it at the time were a PITA to get.

so i've read but the toner costs as much as a new motherboard lol

+1/ also buy a non hp toner, they are about 75% hp quality for 80% less price. Like this one: http://www.supermediastore.com/hp-92298a-toner-cartridge-98a-compatible.html

hate to bring up an old thread but I was wondering if anyone knew a good place to purchase a cleaning kit and a rebuild kit for this printer? thanks for any advice

fixyourownprinter may be a good place to start

HP Laserjet 4 is built like a tank (and heavy like one) so they can last a long time. The biggest issue I've seen are the paper output rollers, there's 3 sets along the back of the printer. One of those roller can fail from old age (dry rubber) and cause paper jam. Also if the printer is unable to feed paper, the pickup roller may be worn out or dried out.

Blown fuser can be pricey to fix as well.

Yes, that is everything you are going to need. With out knowing exactly what sort of issue you are having, its hard to say if you actually need to do it.

Also, I've bought a ton of stuff from that site. Excellent.

I used to have LJ 4 as well and it was nice but a real power hog compared to modern laser printers.

If the printer isn't picking up paper or consistently pulling too many, pickup roller and pad would need to be replaced. If it's printing but jamming at the end before output, one of the 3 rollers on the back has gone bad.

I am not having any problems with it other than it being out of toner im just rebuilding it cause before I got it the previous owner only used it a handful of times and then put it into storage and thats where it sat til I got it, so basicly I just want to make sure most of the parts that go bad get replaced so that they fail later rather than sooner

Honestly, I'd just throw toner in it and run till you need parts.

If it wasn't used a ton, the most you need to replace is some feed rollers, and maybe a spring here and there. I would expect, that you will need none of this, for years to come, however.

I guess I can try that their toner is cheaper than office max hopefully nothing breaks

Last edited:
If you're handy you could refill toner and get another 20,000-30,000 pages before it starts having problem (worn photosensitive drum or waste bin full). Refilling is a tad messy though due to the nature of toner particle. You need a HEPA class vacuum cleaner to suck it up.

If you're handy you could refill toner and get another 20,000-30,000 pages before it starts having problem (worn photosensitive drum or waste bin full). Refilling is a tad messy though due to the nature of toner particle. You need a HEPA class vacuum cleaner to suck it up.

im going out today to get toner and to pick up the printer from my grandparents to clean the dust and stuff out and see if it still works

well i got new toner for it and got it installed on windows 7 64 bit and it prints but its very light so i either need to try and clean it or buy a rebuild kit which should i try first?

Make sure it's configured right. Most drivers have a toner save mode that will cause light printing.

I used to have a LJ4... back before i knew anything about computer. Threw it out. Still regret that to this day. Thing worked fine, but the time it needed Toner i figured it'd be cheaper to buy a new printer. I was wrong.

Got a brother HL-2040. Great printer, good quality, quiet, but the toner cartridge is only good for 3,000ish pages. I go through that every 9 months or so, and then it's $90 to replace. Then the drum is another $90 every 10K pages. So $90 for toner and $90 for drum gets you up to $180. You could get three of the printer for that much.

Back