• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need opinion on ssd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hinderpits

I want to get a ssd to put my os and maybe a couple games on. I didn't want to spend a crap ton on it so i was wanted to get some opinions on this one, and ask would i see a significant difference with just one of these drives as opposed to the 2 120 gig drives i have in raid 0? system is in my sig, i like to game mostly and multi task a lot on a 1080p monitor. Thsi drive is pretty affordable...

SUPER TALENT UltraDrive ME FTM32GX25H 2.5" 32GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820609392

anyone using it?

You may see an improvement in the OS boot time, but I doubt you would see much if any improvement in games IMO.

i dont know to much about that drive i would rather spend a few more dollars and go for the thing i know works get the vertex 30gb its about 140 at newegg

The super talent is rated 35mb/sec faster at sequential writes, and is also 30 dollars less than the vertex which is 150.00 at the egg, although the egg's listed specs are sometimes unreliable or exaggerated.....I'd like to go with the cheaper drive, but has anyone ordered the super talent, and tested it here?

i dont know to much about that drive i would rather spend a few more dollars and go for the thing i know works get the vertex 30gb its about 140 at newegg

same controller, same performance, same firmware, different label on the drive. Supertalent also does a little bit different with the PCB also.

perfect thread.. i have my eyes on those to.. i mean if they do the specs they are published with.. they are faster then the vertex..

Also are the SuperTalent 32MB cache SSDs?

The Intel drive (X25-M) dominates in everything except sequential write (JUST 80MB/s, conspiracy theories have it that Intel capped it there intentionally to avoid hurting their own X25-E sales). But exactly how often do you do large sequential writes? (need to have a source that can feed at >80MB/s, too) Takes just about no power (Indilinx drives eat about 2W active), great for a laptop. I agree it is a bit expensive. I probably wouldn't get it for a desktop (yet to make the switch to SSD on my desktop), too. But if I had unlimited cash, I would get the Intel one for sure. No one knows about the long term reliability of SSDs yet (and no one knows how good current controllers are at wear-leveling), and I would rather trust Intel than a startup company in Korea (Indilinx).

I got my X25-M with a new laptop (Acer 3810T), for very cheap (~$800 for the entire laptop. About the same price as the 320GB HD version!). Loving it.

perfect thread.. i have my eyes on those to.. i mean if they do the specs they are published with.. they are faster then the vertex..

Also are the SuperTalent 32MB cache SSDs?

not sure of the 32GB but the 64GB and up are 64MB.

The Intel drive (X25-M) dominates in everything except sequential write (JUST 80MB/s, conspiracy theories have it that Intel capped it there intentionally to avoid hurting their own X25-E sales). But exactly how often do you do large sequential writes? (need to have a source that can feed at >80MB/s, too) Takes just about no power (Indilinx drives eat about 2W active), great for a laptop. I agree it is a bit expensive. I probably wouldn't get it for a desktop (yet to make the switch to SSD on my desktop), too. But if I had unlimited cash, I would get the Intel one for sure. No one knows about the long term reliability of SSDs yet (and no one knows how good current controllers are at wear-leveling), and I would rather trust Intel than a startup company in Korea (Indilinx).

I wonder how much of that 2w is from the cache on the Indilinx drives.
Indilinx is a startup company but the fact that how many OEM'd are using their barefoot controller is a possible testament to their ability to deliver/perform. They are not just a bunch of people put together who have no knowledge of SSD's, they are former samsung employees so they have worked with SSD's in the past. The hard thing for them, is that their first effort is so good (compared to jmicron, for example) that their follow-up has to be that much better. Expectations are high, I hope they deliver.

reviews started to pour in on newegg... yesterday there were none. Feelings are mixed..

I`m so unsure if i should to vertex or SUPER TALENT
soulfly1448 hurry up with the testin` :D

I wonder how much of that 2w is from the cache on the Indilinx drives.
Indilinx is a startup company but the fact that how many OEM'd are using their barefoot controller is a possible testament to their ability to deliver/perform. They are not just a bunch of people put together who have no knowledge of SSD's, they are former samsung employees so they have worked with SSD's in the past. The hard thing for them, is that their first effort is so good (compared to jmicron, for example) that their follow-up has to be that much better. Expectations are high, I hope they deliver.
I don't think the power consumption has to do with cache. If it was due to the cache, it should consume 2W even when it's idle, since DRAM doesn't eat more power when it's working vs idle. The Intel drive only has 16MB cache (and Intel is saying they are not even using it to cache user data, so there is a less chance of data corruption on sudden power loss), yet the random write performance is still quite a bit higher than Indilinx's.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Indilinx, and they certainly deliver the performance at a much higher bang for the buck. I was only saying that, if we don't take price into account, the X25-M is still a better drive, in terms of performance, power consumption, and just brand loyalty I guess (since no one knows how the current SSDs will fail, simply because they have only became mainstream in the last year or 2, we have to just choose a company to believe in).

Comparing them to JMicron is not so fair is it... they already saw JMicron fail before they even started, and just learned from JMicron's experience. "No stuttering" was probably one of their design goals when they started. JMicron probably wasn't aware of the issue until too late.

Just got them set up in Raid0. Haven't done any tweaking to anything. System is not even overclocked at the moment. Numbers look pretty good.

hdds.jpg

Not to shabby for the price.

My eye is on the new Intel drives though. At $225ish for 80Gigs thats what I have my eye on.

Would you just get 1 drive or 2? I know you said cheap but you might consider looking for at least 60GB in size since that is where the read and write speeds are more consistent with the larger or largest drives.

Did notice though that they say 230 Read/160 Write for a max but even in raid it bearly hits the write speed in sequential and still a ways off in the read speeds.

Last edited:
Back