• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7, divx, Mkv's, and the xbox 360...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brandontw

Well, i just installed the windows 7 beta last night and i must say, so far i am really impressed! It seems like a really fit and finished system, especially for being in beta still...

I do have a few questions though...

There are several articles across the net that say that Divx 7 enables all functionality of Mkv's in media player, and media center, including preview, thumbnails ect...

http://www.hardcoreware.net/mkv-windows-7-xbox-360-ps3/

http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/05/01/divx-fills-in-the-gaps-and-adds-mkv-support-to-windows-7/

I successfully installed Divx 7 on the new windows 7, and media player seems to do fine with AVI's, and almost any other type of file, but my Mkv files are still unrecognized, and do not play if i try them in media player...

Is there something i need to do to get this to work?

Those articles also mention that divx 7 may enable streaming MKV's to the xbox, although confirmation on this around the net is pretty spotty...

Any ideas on how to get this to work?

Not sure if it applies, but did you install any codec packs? I D'led "K-lite" codec pack and it cured the prob's I've been having (though my prob was completely different).
I just looked, and K-Lite supports MKV's so it should help you out. you can get it here

I hope it gets you going,
Doc

Edit: You can thank jgv115 for the K-Lite headsup, ans he had just pointed it to me. Edit:

Last edited:
Well, i downloaded the Divx tech preview... and uninstalled the divx codec pack, player, ect, and now MKV's work in media player, as well as all the other files i have tried so far, but i still can't get it to stream to the Xbox... I'm guessing its a lost cause for now...

I should have seen that coming, it seems like they keep this whole xbox media streaming thing just good enough to make you stick around, but not good enough to make it great.

Why cant they just make it simple, and functional? Here is what i want: I want to be able to stream ALL of my local media files, including music, including itunes playlists, and including all common video filetypes. I also want to be able to access online video, such as netflix(thank you MS), youtube, hulu, ect, with support for RSS. I also want access to my TV card (through media center is fine, if it works)

I also want media center to work good enough to be worth using... The interface has always been unresponsive, choppy, and lacks functionality for online media. Also, plugins are not supported for extenders... and plugins are not as well developed as they should be, why not make a dedicated hulu, youtube, or netflix plugin that works...

Back