• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time to clean my drawer...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
I didn't realize I've stockpiled on spare RAM until I was about to toss in a pair of 128MB SODIMM I retired when I upgraded 2 laptops earlier.

I took a good luck and I was like "YIKES!!!" :eek:

It's not helping me when I can't ID a small set of RAM. Physically it's smaller than PC66, about the same size as the early PowerPC L2 cache sticks but different keys.

Attachments

• ram_2.png
    ram_2.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 185
  • ram_1.jpg
    ram_1.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 182
That's nothing compared to my RAM drawer. I cleaned mine out awhile back and got rid of a motherboard-sized antistatic bag full of 32-64MB PC100 DIMMS. I kept anything 128MB or greater, as well as all my SIMMs, DIPs, ZIPs, SIPPs, and random cache modules. They don't take up a lot of space, and once in awhile I'll need some strange memory for something or other.

As far as your unidentified sticks, perhaps you can get a better picture of them? Also, how many pins do they have? They look kinda like some of the old Mac VRAM modules.

I've had only 2 printers that could take RAM expansion. One is a Laserjet 4 that used common desktop memory sticks, and another was Laserjet 6 that used PCMCIA-esque card (same size, different pins)

Better closeup of the mystery RAM. Total of 57 contacts by the number on the stick, which seems a bit off. Each sticks has 4 chips, 2 on each side they all seems to be the same.

Attachments

• mystery1.jpg
    mystery1.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 173
That looks just like a module I have sitting here at my desk, apple P/N: 333-1072. I believe it is VRAM that came out of an old beige PowerMac (mine came out of a 7500).

That could be it. Beige PPC Vram, I have a PPC 9600 one of the last Mac to have more than 3 PCI slots.

Yep, I was right. They're 112-pin VRAM DIMMs, probably 1MB each. Used in 7x00, 8x00, and I think also the 9x00 Powermacs.

Back