• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The difference between 32-bit and 64-bit windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adhoc

I'm confused and lost among the internet.

What is the difference between 32-bit and 64-bit windows?
How do i know if i would benefit from using 64-bit?
(as concisely as possible :)

Thanks

I guess what i really want to ask is if i have 4gb of RAM, will i get any benefit from using windows 7 64 bit?

I guess what i really want to ask is if i have 4gb of RAM, will i get any benefit from using windows 7 64 bit?

The main benefit of going 64-bit is the ability to address >4GB of memory. So to answer your question, probably not.

But these days, there's really no reason to not go 64-bit.

You will see .5-1GB more memory under 64bit, so you will see a small benefit. And as Amtrak said, the reasons for not getting 64bit these days are quickly disapearing, so why not do it anyway?

If you're going to be buying an OS, just get the 64bit version. Worrying about compatibility is mostly a thing of the past. That and some of us DO use four or more GBs of ram. Your OS will thank you, too.

If im correct i think they just released 64 bit flash for windows as well making the 64 bit browser more viable.(although running a 32 bit browser on a 64 bit os is the obviously easy alternative way to go)

If im correct i think they just released 64 bit flash for windows as well making the 64 bit browser more viable.(although running a 32 bit browser on a 64 bit os is the obviously easy alternative way to go)

Only info I can find is an updated linux beta 64-bit flash.

Oh yeah you are correct i misread the article-sorry bout that

Flash Player 10

" An alpha refresh of 64-bit Adobe Flash Player 10 for Linux operating systems was released on 7/30/09. The release versions of Flash Player 10 for Windows, Macintosh, 32-bit Linux, and Solaris are now available from the Flash Player Download Center. Please download the latest prerelease versions below."

the wording is tricky.

I'm not doing 64-bit because of (old) applications (in)compatibilities.

64 bit windows = maximum potential. You can use more than 3 -3.5 GB RAM, and 64 bit architecture is the future. Since making the switch, mainly at first to utilize all the RAM in my system, my impression has been mostly positive. Faster system, better performance, but their M$ does require digitally signed drivers that a pain to get around if the company didn't pay several hundred to M$ to get the digital signature. That annoyance aside, I'll never go back 32 bit, I'm currently running Vista and 7 in 64 bit and can't recall any compatibility issues, so long as you get around the digitally signed drivers issue on smaller third party software.

Back