• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oh Debian, how you have disappointed me...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adragontattoo

Trailer Chasing Senior
so finally get the file server built, loaded, running, and configured.

Debian 64 testing
Gnome,File server and base install. Nothing else.

System is totally up to date and I decide to work on sharing 1.3tb for NFS shares and 1.5tb for Samba shares.

Hmm sharing isnt working...

click, click, click, please enter roots password. Umm I did not give root a pw, I gave sudo a pw. Nope that wont work. WTF? Debian you honestly mean to tell me that I am FORCED to make a password for root?

Evidently somewhere either in Gnome or the base Debian install, it does not accept sudo in GDM. I had to go into the terminal and create a password for root.

12 hours later, I decided to give Mint 7 a try instead because even though the config shows as correct, samba is running, I can SSH into the machine and create files and folders, I can not in any way browse to the machine, at all.

Debian, you have disappointed me, you have hurt my feelings. I wont forget this, you and I are not speaking currently!

me = :screwy::mad:

SM,

I can ping the box
I can SSH to the box

I can not in any way browse to the box via IP or machine name, samba is configured, Samba is running, folders are shared with permissions set, hell I set chmod 755 the folders in case that was it.
The machine is basically a blackhole. And, no the firewall isnt blocking anything internally.

In Gnome when I would try to unlock anything to change permissions, it would prompt for Roots password. I didnt have a root password set. I tried using my password the same way that I would in Mint 6 or 7 or Ubuntu and it would error and never accept. Once I enabled root and set a password, I was able to access and change permissions at the prompt with no issues by entering roots PW.

Why on (or off) earth would you ever leave root without a password? If somebody ever manages to gain access to the machine, or a flaw is found in one of the server daemons, you're totally screwed...

Back