• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win7 memory usage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

A-Dub

I'm just wondering how I'm doing, I haven't had any problems with Win7, but others seem to report Win7 using much less memory. Anything I can get rid of here? After boot up with no applications running I'm sitting at just over 1gb of memory usage, though sometimes it can go as high as 1.3gb.

Untitled-1-5.jpg

Let it do it's thing. I imagine it scales ram usage like Vista does, but I don't want to fire up my VM to check it. Empty ram's useless ram.

Edit:
Ok, I started my VM of Win7-32. It's pretty much vanilla, without any 3rd party apps installed, and I'm using about 500mb of 2gb.

Edit2:
The VM's been running awhile now, and I have 512mb free. Win7's used caching to fill up the memory.

Last edited:
Dump the Curse Client auto load. Otherwise it looks pretty clean. Win7 scales ram jsut like Vista does, only more efficiently. YMMV

Z

with my 4gb and a day or two left on and gaming a few diff games, i can get up to 2.5 used (64 bit of course). gotta say, it's freakin snappy loading games after loading each one a time or two, lol.

I will admit it seems that Vista/Win7 are really nice about apps once loaded. The usual reboot every few hours is long gone. Once loaded apps reload great. Im running this system for the third day straight with no reboot and everything pops up almost instantly. Unlike the days of 95/98/Me when ya had to reboot all the time.

Z

PS: Yo A-Dub. THX for that chip ya sold me. It's a little sweetie. The Mrs. is tickled. Rock solid :)

I will admit it seems that Vista/Win7 are really nice about apps once loaded. The usual reboot every few hours is long gone. Once loaded apps reload great. Im running this system for the third day straight with no reboot and everything pops up almost instantly. Unlike the days of 95/98/Me when ya had to reboot all the time.

Z

PS: Yo A-Dub. THX for that chip ya sold me. It's a little sweetie. The Mrs. is tickled. Rock solid :)

Glad to hear the cpu is working out. I go 1 to 2 weeks sometimes between reboots on my system.

What are you Win7 scores? Are you noticing sloppy performance? Just asking because it looks like you should be running pretty snappy. I get about 1.15G mem usage on a fresh boot with no apps loaded. I do notice as far as the Task Manager that Win7 seems to recover unused RAM well.

Z

What are you Win7 scores? Are you noticing sloppy performance? Just asking because it looks like you should be running pretty snappy. I get about 1.15G mem usage on a fresh boot with no apps loaded. I do notice as far as the Task Manager that Win7 seems to recover unused RAM well.

Z

No sloppy performance, everything is very snappy and responsive...even after running 24/7 for a week or two.

Untitled-1-3.jpg

Untitled-1-2.jpg

Back