• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Down to my last stick..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

freeagent

Well..

I have had it with ddr2!

Thru the d9gmh era, I went through about 10 or 11 2x1gb sets, they all died.

Now, I am running, or was running 2x2gb pc8500 dominators, and 2x2gb of pc8000 redlines. If I reboot my rampage, it does not boot up again, i have to fiddle with the bios, swap stix, its a real pita to get going again.

SO! Thinking it was my board.. because who has that kind of ram let go on them? I went out and scooped a P5Q today, thinking it would solve my problem.. Boy was I wrong!

The same thing is happening with that board. In case you were curious, yes I did unleash the effing fury :)

And it felt good! But it didnt solve my problem..

So now the plan is to keep this running at stock speed, on 1 2gb stick, until I can build a new ddr3 based setup.

I really hate computers sometimes.

The only DDR2 that I ever have die was Ballistix. I got an RMA number, decided to go I7, and just pitched the sticks. No since wasting money to return something I'd never use. Guess I could have sold the Balistix in the classies....

i threw away all of my dead gmh too.

the 1 stick wonder is running ok for now, i still cant overclock, wich is ok i guess.. but i gotta figger something out. i might have to sell some of my toys to build a new i7.

that sux.

the bad attitude ive had towards my job and things lately must be drawing all this bad karma to me. time to get out of my rut!

easier said then done! :beer:

I dont think I can get those locally :(

But!

I talked to the guys at the shop, and they are going to let me bring that board (P5Q) back, and ill get some ram! They probably dont have what I want, maybe some pc6400...

But if it gets me running, then thats ok! Even if they only do 900mhz, that still gets me 4500mhz.

I think I am just going to save my pennies once i am stabily running again, and build a nice i5 or i7.

775 stuff is getting hard to find round these here parts!

OK!

Well.. I guess I'm pretty hard on ram, because I have 10gb worth sitting on my desk here. I went out and bought a cheapy set of XMS2 PC6400, 5-5-5-18... Yep they are cheap, but my system posted the very first try, and then i went into the bios to set it up to run at 4ghz, and some other little tweaks here and there, saved and exit and bam!

I'm posting here telling you my system is running lol :D

Man that had me stressed out. I hate it when things dont work right..

Now I have to reinstall windows because of the beating it took, without overclocking yet lol.

I wonder if this stuff will do 500mhz :confused:

:thup:

^^^

Well.. Seems like I now have 14gb of perfectly fine ram :confused:

The board seems to be working perfectly again, with my dominators.

Im running it at 531x8.5 with absolutely no troubles, just like before :bang head

I have no idea what to say. Other then I was able to replicate the problem with a brand new P5Q, my P5K, and this Rampage.

The only other thing I have not replaced is my PSU :D

Wich brings us up to a strange turn of events..

If it does stall just before post, then all I have to do is flick the switch, and make sure I press and hold the power button for a few seconds, flick the switch and hit go and it works :rolleyes:

But I swear it didnt do that before, I think..

All I had left to swap out was the cpu and psu.

sonofa. :mad:

But whatever! Its working fine for now :bday:

Edit:

Looks good to me :thup:

Last edited:
Back