• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mounting heavy blower to radiator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Korndog

I have a huge heavy blower that I want to mount to a black ice pro xtreme 120mm. The blower's mounting lines up with the radiator mounting, but i'm worried that the ~8lb blower might be too much weight for it. does anyone have any ideas?

At that point i'd mount the radiator on the blower, and the blower to the desk or case.

i'm really keen on having it all connected to my case
my idea is to mount the radiator on top of my case and use the prefab holes on my case to run the tubing though..
link of the top of case
the blower will then mount to the top. the whole point is zero-modding; i've torn up enough cases in the past and they all end up being trashed so i want to keep this one nice, but i don't want to sacrifice performance. In this position the blower will also be cooling the graphic card which is a big plus.

i considered building a mounting frame but that's what i'm stuck on how to go about it.. at least w/o mutilating my case. i've got a lot of tools, but no inspiration..

I'd mount it to the case, and the case to the rad. Maybe make a sheet form so there's no air leaks.
The radiators' side rails are brass, and with the two bends in it is quite sturdy, especially so when bolted to something front and back which would stop any flexing at the bends.

I'd mount it to the case, and the case to the rad. Maybe make a sheet form so there's no air leaks.
The radiators' side rails are brass, and with the two bends in it is quite sturdy, especially so when bolted to something front and back which would stop any flexing at the bends.

This is exactly what I want to do Diggrr
i'm not worried about it bending but more about the mounting method..
my worry is the thin sheet brass + tapped screw wouldn't be strong enough. If it were possible to use a bolt/washer i'd be a little more confident.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009091001103642&item=16-1279&catname=electric

here's the blower i'm using and as u can see most of the mass hangs far away from the mounting points.

//edit
i just a random idea..
sheet metal u-clips?
what do u think???

comedy... racing snail.

where you plan on clocking too with that thing then :shrug:

should be a quiet little runner #Chuckles#

Is it really quiet? At full 12V? According to that site it moves over 400 CFM, it would take a pair of LOUD 120s to do that. You should compare temps and noise between this blower and your usual fans.

probably is loud relatively speaking but at a lower frequency.
and the cylynder types are quieter for the volumes of air they move.
my own idea of quiet is a 120mm at 1200rpm or a 140mm at 700rpm

The specs say it is quiet and it only weighs 5 pounds. :) I'd be worried about the blast of air coming through the rad. I can feel the air coming through my rad from the bottom of my Skeleton 3 feet away using 100 cfm fans. I can only imagine what 400 cfm fans would push.

get four you could start pc drag racing #Laughs#
you considered some desk bolts to clamp the pc down?

put one on a NV200 series card and i`ll be impressed #Chuckles#

I still don't see any problem with it the way it is. The plastic housing housing would be the first to give, and that is obviously up to holding up the blower.

Plug up a few holes on the case, and make some new holes out the bottom. Add a skirt and you have a nice hovercraft!

hm.. good point diggrr; i'll go ahead and give it a try

it's kind of loud at full blast obviously, but most of the sound comes from the air passing the radiator. my solution is a PWM that i built and the use of a 24v power supply. with the extra power, i'm able to run the motor at very low rpm w/o stalling or over heating the motor. there is a point where i'm not sure if it's on or off

Is it really quiet? At full 12V? According to that site it moves over 400 CFM, it would take a pair of LOUD 120s to do that. You should compare temps and noise between this blower and your usual fans.

blowers don't make as much sounds so you can't really compare it to a 120. cfm to cfm.

your house blower does 800 to 3200cfm (pending the size of the furnace)

blowers don't make as much sounds so you can't really compare it to a 120. cfm to cfm.

your house blower does 800 to 3200cfm (pending the size of the furnace)

exactly, but what really makes the difference is when it's hooked up to a radiator. blowers of this size generate much more pressure and as a result perform better in high impedance situations like the design fins of a radiator or heatsink. obviously the trade off is the size, power consumption, and cost; the only problem i have is cost and i got around it by getting surplus stuff and building my own pwm

If I were you I would stack another rad with your old one, that fan could definately push through both of them!

Back