• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Measuring Internet Connection Permormance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zzzzzzzzzz

Many dedicated service providers have Service Level Agreements (SLAs) guaranteeing service to perform at no worse than specified values. The SLAs often provide guarantees on latency, network availability, amount of packet loss, amount of network jitter delay, and provider's website availability. Upon furnishing such a service provider with evidence of failing to satisfy the guarantee, it may issue credits.

How can the network performance be measured or examined such that evidence may be created, documenting a network problem for report to the dedicated service provider?

The first thing you need to establish is what the service provider defines as the network as this more than often is the major factor, I have previously worked for a provider who defines the network as being from a server to the switch.
When your attempting to prove latency you have to do it from a system on their network out to a number of sources, you can not do it from a system outside their network.

Is this a server? what OS is it running, what kind of information do you need?

The first thing you need to establish is what the service provider defines as the network as this more than often is the major factor, I have previously worked for a provider who defines the network as being from a server to the switch.
When your attempting to prove latency you have to do it from a system on their network out to a number of sources, you can not do it from a system outside their network.

Is this a server? what OS is it running, what kind of information do you need?
I was not referring to a server.

I want to know how to acquire evidence information to show the existence of a failure to meet a Service Level Agreement Guarantee.

For example, XO Communications Dedicated Internet Access (DIA) Service Level Agreement:
http://www.xo.com/SiteCollectionDoc...SLA_Rates/sla/SLA-DedicatedInternetAccess.pdf

There are guarantees against availability of network, latency, packet loss, and network jitter. The general terms and conditions also guarantee 100% XO website availability. I want to know how to collect evidence of a failure to meet a guarantee.

Well. In conjunction, you should also check out their Terms of Service and small-print. Your connection speed will vary according to how much you download, etc.

Back