• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Have you had a SSD Fail?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

antipesto93

i was planning on going for the ocz vertex in the near future for a boot drive, but obviouslt the main disadvantage of a ssd is its reliability, but has anyone here actually had a ssd drive every fail? and how long did you have it before it failed?

I've used:

OCZ Core - 3 months
G.Skill Titan - 1 month
Corsair 1st gen - 2 weeks
Intel X25-M G1 - 6 months

and not one failed on me. Obviously short time frames for all, but the products have only been out for a short time to begin with. I think you should just take the same policy that everyone should have with regular hard drives (back up your data often) and go for it!

obviouslt the main disadvantage of a ssd is its reliability
I'm not so sure about this. Of course, it is new tech so it can have issues we don't know about yet, but based on what we do know an SSD should be more reliable than hard drive. Sure, they have limited writes, but as long as there isn't a flaw in the wear-leveling algorithm, the SSD shouldn't have any surprise failures. It doesn't have any moving part so it eliminates a whole category of failures common with hard drives. And as they have been cramming more and more bits into a smaller space hard drives have been getting less reliable.

No failures here yet have had 2 Solids in service for a 10 months now ..
The Vertex for 2 months maybe 3 lost count ...

lol I haven't seen a HDD stuff up in my life. Obviously a SSD won't stuff up in 10 months let alone 360 months

People usually list unreliability as a disadvantage of SSDs, because theoretically, they WILL ALL fail at the end. The problem is, while an ideal harddrive has indefinite lifetime, in real life, they fail a lot more and a lot sooner, as well as more unpredictably.

Backups are the only way to go.

ssd are more reliable than a mechanical disk as there is nothing to break. do not let the reliability issue hold you back. they do have a limited number of writes but it is far more than you could ever utilize. with proper wear leveling and TRIM i've read that an 80gb ssd will last over 10 years if you wrote 5gb every day. that is way more data than the average power user could write in a desktop application.

I've had two OCZ vertex 30gb drives fail so that they couldn't be recognized by the OS, one winxp and one win7. One started reporting it was a 128gb drive and that it was full but it only had 10gb of data on it. The other happened when it suddenly took an hour to write a big file to the drive and after that it failed, again it only had a few GB of use. Both drives were over a year old.

I looked this problem up and I was not alone with Vertex dying problems. OCZ did provice a fix for both of them by flashing the firmware to a new version, vertex-turbo. All data was lost on those drives due to the destructive flash.

So at this point I wouldn't trust any important data to an SSD without a good backup system in place -- true for any HD anyway.

2 X25-V 40Gb going strong for about a year,
5 dead vertex 30GB out of 6 (the last one was taken out of service due to the failure of the other 5)

I've had 2 180GB vertex 2s for about 3-4 months now in R0... no issues with them so far.

@psyko: how long did you run those 5 vertex drives before they failed?

@psyko: how long did you run those 5 vertex drives before they failed?

First 2 were about a month (not detected in bios)->RMA second 2 about a month (not detected in bios)->RMA third 2 one was DOA. Second one (#6) ran briefly and is still ok just not being used, can't be bothered, also can't be bothered to RMA #5. While waiting for the second RMA I picked up the Intel's they have been running like champs on the same motherboard(s) (SB750, SB850) with the same SATA Cables. Bad luck here with the vertexes.

First 2 were about a month (not detected in bios)->RMA second 2 about a month (not detected in bios)->RMA third 2 one was DOA. Second one (#6) ran briefly and is still ok just not being used, can't be bothered, also can't be bothered to RMA #5. While waiting for the second RMA I picked up the Intel's they have been running like champs on the same motherboard(s) (SB750, SB850) with the same SATA Cables. Bad luck here with the vertexes.

Thats some bad luck their.... that's life with some hardware, sometimes you just get a bad run of hardware..who hasn't bought stuff before and its been $hit..

Ive had my western digital ssd for about a year and a half now, no problems with it. I also have a gskill ssd thats about 3 or 4 years old, and it still works ok. I was a little leary about getting an ocz ssd, but they have good warranty.. Hopefully if mine does go, I get an upgraded one :)

My Crucial CT128M225 is still working a year down the road, but back in December, 2010 the drive freaked out and all data on it was corrupted. Fortunately, I had a recent drive image handy as well as a robust backup plan, so nothing was lost except for a few desktop items created that morning.

The drive has been running strong ever since (knock on wood) :chair:; to this day I'm unsure of the cause of the failure.

I agree with the sentiments of others here: SSDs are no less, and will prove more reliable than mechanical drives, but any drive, SSD or mechanical, can fail, so a robust backup plan is critical.

Almost 2 years old, my Supertalent has given up the ghost. I could recover it like before (flash firmware in Factory mode, requires opening the drive to set a jumper), I'm sure, since it seems like bad firmware causing it but I'm sick of reloading the OS every month so it will go for RMA.

Back