• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swiftech MCP 655-b Pump problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tkjay15

So, I just hooked up everything as per the directions and the problem I am having is that The pump will start and then stop every 10 seconds. It will spool up and pump for ~15 seconds and then stop for about 5 then pump again. This cycle continues on and on.

Is this supposed to happen and if not any ideas on what is going on?

Thanks in advance!

No, that sounds really weird because it shouldn't be doing that. Do you have a voltmeter handy? Check to make sure the power isn't cycling on and off for some weird reason. Also, you might try to plug the molex connector in again or on another molex off of your psu. It sounds like something isn't making good contact at the plug.

And I am moving this over to the water cooling forum since this is properly a watercooling question. :)

mudd

It has been doing it since I filled the system and I dont have a voltmeter with me unfortunately. I have also tried switching molex connectors but not the different lines of connectors

My system specs are this:
2 8800Gt's in SLI
EVGA 780i MB
QX6700
8GB OCZ DDR2
and a RocketFish 750watt PSU ( I know nothing amazing but I work at best buy and its cheap :))

And I have not tried it without everything else plugged in because I do not have another PSU handy but it is doing it on and off non stop while the system is on.

Have you properly bled your loop? If not, it might just be air passing through the pump, causing it to sound funny.

:welcome:+ 1, I would have to say that you have some air trapped in your loop. Do you have a res? If so then there is a small red flow control on the pump. Turn it down to about half of max flow and see if anymore air comes out, also try to rotate your case to move any trapped air. It is possible to have water flow with a nice size air pocket in your system and you may never know.

I am pretty new at using pumps so how do you bleed the lines??

Also, its not exactly water cooling, I am doing mineral oil cooling. The setup is slightly different where it is not a closed circuit, its just in from the tank and then out into the tank. I know this pump works for this application though because I have used it once before for this. Not the same pump but the same make and brand.

if it's an open loop then you don't have to bleed the lines, but fill them with oil and make sure your all the air is out. then dip the tubes in the tank and turn it on.

I think the problem is that the weigh of the oil is too much load on the pump, It will start to pump fine once the oil has heated up to a hot temp.

Do you think a centrifugal pump would perform better or should I just scrap the oil and get a lighter weight?

I think the problem is that the weigh of the oil is too much load on the pump, It will start to pump fine once the oil has heated up to a hot temp.

Do you think a centrifugal pump would perform better or should I just scrap the oil and get a lighter weight?

that's what i was going to say, but you said you have used this pump for it before.

lighter oil would be my choice.

:confused: The MCP 655 is a centrifugal pump.

Lighter oil sounds like the way to go. What are you using now?

ya, I have used this pump before but not with this oil, which is why I started to think that was the cause of it the oil I used was this:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10423864

due to its availability at the time and price, it actually was cheaper for five gallons bought at 16oz bottles then for five gallons shipped haha but we see where this got me :bang head

Anyone have any recommendations as to where to buy some light weight oil??

And I thought that the mcp655-b was a magnetic impeller pump? This may also be a centrifugal pump i dont know much about pumps haha:screwy:

Yes, it has a magnetic impeller. It's a centr pump too. Meaning the impeller is driven by a magnetic rotating field,, not a direct drive shaft. It really helps in sealing tiny pumps. Tiny pump seals can wear out fast, one reason these pumps last forever.

Thats standard mineral oil, it should work fine. Is the pump really hot on the bottom? What is your tubing lenght?

Ummmm..........
The time it stops and starts is repeatable with some variance? If it's always the same then you prolly have a load problem. Too much vertical distance and a thicker liquid. The pump is shutting down.

If it's not repeatable, then it's a wiring issue.

ya, I have used this pump before but not with this oil, which is why I started to think that was the cause of it the oil I used was this:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10423864

due to its availability at the time and price, it actually was cheaper for five gallons bought at 16oz bottles then for five gallons shipped haha but we see where this got me :bang head

Anyone have any recommendations as to where to buy some light weight oil??

And I thought that the mcp655-b was a magnetic impeller pump? This may also be a centrifugal pump i dont know much about pumps haha:screwy:

bet you got funny looks buying 5 gallons of that lol.

To avoid the weird looks you might be able to use airtool oil
It's ussually mixed in the air for them and to me it looks like it's viscosity is close to water

Yes, it has a magnetic impeller. It's a centr pump too. Meaning the impeller is driven by a magnetic rotating field,, not a direct drive shaft. It really helps in sealing tiny pumps. Tiny pump seals can wear out fast, one reason these pumps last forever.

Thats standard mineral oil, it should work fine. Is the pump really hot on the bottom? What is your tubing lenght?

Ummmm..........
The time it stops and starts is repeatable with some variance? If it's always the same then you prolly have a load problem. Too much vertical distance and a thicker liquid. The pump is shutting down.

If it's not repeatable, then it's a wiring issue.

The pump only gets hot after about ~4 hours when the oil starts to heat up and I have tried the pump with only ~1 ft of tubing just to see if it works and no dice
The time it starts and stops thought is fairly consistent, it changes only by about a few seconds if that each time.

The reason I got this particular pump is because of the power I thought it put out just in case the load was alot heavier haha

bet you got funny looks buying 5 gallons of that lol.
And if you said, "it's for my computer," I bet the looks got even stranger.

Yes and yes haha. The cashier that was checking me out at walmart asked me what the heck I wanted 50+ containers of mineral oil and I said "for a computer project, you submerge the parts in it.". And her was reply was, "Won't that make it really messy when you want to used the keyboard and mouse???".

Not to mention everyone in line was looking at me like I was psycho :beer:

The pump only gets hot after about ~4 hours when the oil starts to heat up and I have tried the pump with only ~1 ft of tubing just to see if it works and no dice
The time it starts and stops thought is fairly consistent, it changes only by about a few seconds if that each time.
How hot does the oil get? If it's too much, the perhaps it's time to think about some sort of radiator. Short of that, aiming a fan at the tank might help.

Not to mention everyone in line was looking at me like I was psycho :beer:
LOL. Yes, well, we all went merrily around the bend some time ago, eh? Just ask any sane person about people who pump water through their computers. He'll tell you.

How hot does the oil get? If it's too much, the perhaps it's time to think about some sort of radiator. Short of that, aiming a fan at the tank might help.

The oil will start to actually pump at ~50 degrees Celsius but the problem is that is too hot and my cpu temps are around ~65-70 degrees :confused:.

But I do have a radiator that I was going to put on the unit but I didnt want to do it till I had the whole pump thing figured out haha.

LOL. Yes, well, we all went merrily around the bend some time ago, eh? Just ask any sane person about people who pump water through their computers. He'll tell you.

haha and yes all too true...

Back