• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 hates me

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hainer36

When I got the RC a few months back, I tried to install it on my core i7 rig. The onboard sound would not work, and then once I tried to install a Audigy 4 soundcard it would not work with any drivers (tried win7 and everything else in compatibility mode). So I went back to Vista since, I really dont mind it.

However, I now have the RTM release of Win7 from ACM. I have it installed on 3x32gb SSD's in Raid0 (just wanna see the speed). At first my boot was under 8 seconds...which is fairly long, but expected as raid boots take a little longer i've noticed. But once I got all the settings the way I liked it, I installed my 2nd 9800GTX+ (won from folding challenge in summer) and tried to update drivers to 191.xx from Nvidia. And it will not work. I try to install the drivers, and on reboot comes back with windows defaults. Try uninstalling those drivers first, nothing, comes back and reinstalls those drivers. The card in the top slot is the EVGA card and it is recognized as a standard VGA graphics adapter. The 2nd card is shown as an actual 9800GTX+, but it is not the primary gpu.

I cannot get to a nvidia control panel to enable sli (as it doesnt even exist on my computer now) and im at a loss, and will probably end up ditching Win7 and going back to vista.

System specs in sig (if not, wait, im updating)

nothing new. same old no control panel installed, nothing different in gpuz except now it is using the 191.07 drivers apparently. but no other options here

Have you tried Nvidia's forums? Is there an issue with your cards and Win7?

nothing big, not anything like i have at least. And it seems to shut down every night or so and then try to boot up into the wrong drive. Tried going into BIOS and checkin on mobo boot order....wont let me into the bios. It would when I didn't have the onboard settings set to use the RAID, but now apparently with it on, I cannot get into the BIOS. Thinking the mobo isn't right and then thinking stayin with Vista is the way to go.

Not being able to get into BIOS is strange. That comes before the O/S loads, so Win7 shouldn't be an issue there. I've never run RAID or 2 gfx cards so I'm out of my element here. I really don't know where to go from here, but this is a few things I'd try...

Update BIOS if available
Reset Cmos
Try using one drive, no RAID
Downgrade gfx drivers
Check ram - I don't think this is the problem, but bad ram can cause unusual problems, and it's easy to check.

Bios is latest...had same problems with 2 different BIOS'
done that, can do normal ****, then i set it to raid to boot it does it all over
tried 1 drive, will not work properly, and the only reason i have 3 ssd's is for raid, so this board is useless if raid doesnt work
cant downgrade drivers, automatically just goes back to win7's drivers, wont use nvidia's new or old ones
and ram, its fine, passed memtest

in contact with NCIX to see if i can RMA the board

also, just noticed this now, but apparently I have the single greatest 9800GTX+ card ever created.

Untitled.png

256 shaders and 4GB of ram, Something is seriously wrong with this system.

Back