• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking about a bluetooth adapter..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocClock aka MadClocker

Howdy all, I was thinking about getting a bluetooth adapter so I can upload my phone pics to my computer, but I'm a little skeptical...Has any of you ever used one and do they work ok for what I want to do?
Thanks in advance,
Doc

I have a Belkin extended range (100m instead of the usual 10m), and it works ok. Using the cable that came with my BlackBerry is faster, as well as taking out the microSD and putting it into the card reader, but the Bluetooth is nice for convenience. The real nice thing about using the cable though, it also charges the phone while connected.

Bluetooth is deadly slow, it works but its slow. like 2mbit max... ok for pics ... sucky for transfering music.

That said just grab a dongol from deal extreme.... less than 5 bucks shipped, and if you dont like bluetooth you dont feel bad bout spending 20 bucks or so on a special dongol.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11866 <- have one of those... works like a charm.

and dont be afraid of DX... bought many things from then and all have worked like a charm.... granted shipping does take a bit (8 or so business days) but for the insane low prices i can wait.

I used an external bluetooth, for tethering my blackberry, as well as an internal for the same purpose at a different point.

Both worked fine and were convenient.

Charging over USB isn't much benefit - the amperage on the USB port is so low, it takes twice as long or more for an equal charge compared to plugging into the wall.

I have a bluetooth adapter, I think its a cool gadget, and its very useful if ever somebody comes over with another phone or device and they dont have the data cable for their phone.
I mainly use the bluetooth as a remote though, switching tracks, volume and whatever with my phone is pretty pimp. especially at parties...of course don't make the mistake of sending the app to somebody else in the party, then all heck breaks loose.

Nick

Charging over USB isn't much benefit - the amperage on the USB port is so low, it takes twice as long or more for an equal charge compared to plugging into the wall.

While this is true, in my case, as much time as I spend with my BlackBerry plugged into my PC, it does make a difference. Especially considering the battery power getting used to power the Bluetooth radio built into the phone. While it does seem to use less power from the battery than it used to, it is still a drain. Between caching Slacker radio stations, regular backups, constantly changing out music, and moving pics to my hard drive, it goes much quicker using the cable. And since it doesn't drain my battery to power another radio, I really see that as the biggest benefit. Also, instead of having the drain from using Bluetooth, I get a little more charge on the battery. I think the trade off is well worth it. The only thing I really use Bluetooth for on my phone, is for my headset, and usually when I am using that, I have the phone plugged in to my car charger.

Last edited:
For me, it works OK as long as I don't use the POS Widcomm BT stack that came with the adapter. Use the Microsoft provided stack. Don't put the CD that comes with the dongle in your PC ever.

For me, it works OK as long as I don't use the POS Widcomm BT stack that came with the adapter. Use the Microsoft provided stack. Don't put the CD that comes with the dongle in your PC ever.

What BT adapter are you using? I always had better luck with the Widcomm BT stack than I did with the default MS provided stack.

Digitus BT 2.0 Adapter. The same chip is used by many other vendors as well from what I saw from the USB ID. With the Widcomm stack a backup of the phone would never work and often the simply install of an app wouldn't either.

Instructions for a Samsung phone after installing the driver for the device + cell phone software:

1. Turn phone's Bluetooth visibility ON (you can turn it OFF once you've finished with file transfers):
Settings > Bluetooth > My visibility > ON

2. Install PC Bluetooth adapter driver.

3. Install Samsung PC Studio software and start it > File > Connection... > Bluetooth > Use the Wizard to search for the phone > Click on it > Next

4. Move the IVT Corporation Window to the side.

Now select YES on the Phone when prompted. Enter same PIN on both PC and phone when prompted (for example 0000).

5. Now you can use PC Studio's Phone Explorer to transfer files.

Remember that you can only download photos from PC to the phone's Images > Downloaded images folder, NOT the Images > Photos folder.

Last edited:
Digitus BT 2.0 Adapter. The same chip is used by many other vendors as well from what I saw from the USB ID. With the Widcomm stack a backup of the phone would never work and often the simply install of an app wouldn't either.

Mine never worked without the Widcomm BT stack. The only rigs I have ever plugged it into were XP and Vista rigs, I haven't tried it with 7 yet. They would always try to install drivers, but would tell me to use the CD or download the appropriate drivers for the dongle. I still have yet to try it on a Windows 7 rig, and I'm not really in a rush to try because the cable is so much faster.

Bluetooth is deadly slow, it works but its slow. like 2mbit max... ok for pics ... sucky for transfering music.

That said just grab a dongol from deal extreme.... less than 5 bucks shipped, and if you dont like bluetooth you dont feel bad bout spending 20 bucks or so on a special dongol.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11866 <- have one of those... works like a charm.

and dont be afraid of DX... bought many things from then and all have worked like a charm.... granted shipping does take a bit (8 or so business days) but for the insane low prices i can wait.

DocClock aka MadClocker,

For the win:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11866
$2.41 with Free shipping.

You are welcome.

EDIT: I assume you want to do this once in a while for pics, since it's not blazing fast or anything...

beat ya to it man :p

There are three classes with bluetooth. Class 1 is the extended and offers the best range and throughput, maxing at 3Mb/s or 375K a second. (theoretical) Class 2 is the majority of the devices out there. 10 meters range, throughput is 1Mb/s or less. USB 2.0 charging is pretty good... at a maximum current output of 1000ma, many cell phones fall into this category and charge just as fast with an AC adapter...

Personally the extended would be the way I would go, since your class 2 device will bump up to class 1 speeds.... ;)

Last edited:
Oh you did. Hats off to you.

I also posted instructions for my phone, it wasn't all that intuitive at all... had I not written that the first time I figured it out, I would have forgotten it...

At one point you have to move the small window to the side because it's blocking another app window where you're supposed to click on.

Back