• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Decent But not expensive H2O Kit...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ciku

I am planning to build a newer pc soon around november... wondering if there is a kit thats decent, not expensive and finally very easy to install :) any suggestions would be much appreciated...

From what I have read, there is no such thing as a good, cheap WC kit. How much are you looking to spend? From what I understand, a decent setup can range anywhere from $300 and up.

From what I have read, there is no such thing as a good, cheap WC kit. How much are you looking to spend? From what I understand, a decent setup can range anywhere from $300 and up.

Wow >< I'm not in to heavy overclocking yet with these new cores but damn $300 is an ssd :(

He is talking about a custom made setup... the kits I listed and linked will be just fine for your needs.

He is talking about a custom made setup... the kits I listed and linked will be just fine for your needs.

yeah figured, hehe but ty much, will look at these basic kits :) next is to find a case that best suits for these kinds of stuff :)

Have you looked around the classies? Just picked up
- 120x3 Black Ice Xtreme rad
- 2x MCP-600 pumps (best for flow/low heat dump)
- Dual 3.5" bay res (dangerden)
- Cathar G4 waterblock (storm was based of this) and it has been modded to work with S1366 along with almost any other socket (AM2 not included)
- 1/2" Tubing, various lenghts of Primoflex UV Blue

for 140+ 10 for 3 delta's. Its to dip my toes in the pond as it were.

FWIW, I'd steer clear of the Swiftech Compact kits. That pump-in-a-block isn't so good. If you do go with it, make darn sure you tighten the bolts holding it together with some regularity. I've heard of more than a few people with leaky pumps from those things working loose. Any of the kits from Petra's (except, of course the compact) will do better than that.

If you're going to spend $140 on the Swiftech Compact 220, you might as well go the extra mile and get the Petra's CooolKit basic kit for $200. You get a good pump (MCP-655), along with a decent block and good radiator. That way, when you want to upgrade (as we all do eventually...trust me, you'll probably end up an addict like the rest of us), you already have the pump and don't have to go buy a new pump and block because you're replacing your pump-in-a-block.

ty for your advice, I might have to consider that... $60 is not of a big difference. Though filters like those from basic kit, where do u put it?

FWIW, I'd steer clear of the Swiftech Compact kits. That pump-in-a-block isn't so good. If you do go with it, make darn sure you tighten the bolts holding it together with some regularity. I've heard of more than a few people with leaky pumps from those things working loose. Any of the kits from Petra's (except, of course the compact) will do better than that.

If you're going to spend $140 on the Swiftech Compact 220, you might as well go the extra mile and get the Petra's CooolKit basic kit for $200. You get a good pump (MCP-655), along with a decent block and good radiator. That way, when you want to upgrade (as we all do eventually...trust me, you'll probably end up an addict like the rest of us), you already have the pump and don't have to go buy a new pump and block because you're replacing your pump-in-a-block.

Last edited:
Wherever you want, as long as the T fitting is before the pump, so that when you put water in the fillport it goes to your pump. I've seen T-lines free floating and mounted in the top of cases.

You could always add a reservoir if you're prefer that to a T-line. It makes the system easier to fill and bleed, that's for sure. The cheapest, yet still very good reservoir is the Swiftech MCRES v.2.

Wherever you want, as long as the T fitting is before the pump, so that when you put water in the fillport it goes to your pump. I've seen T-lines free floating and mounted in the top of cases.

You could always add a reservoir if you're prefer that to a T-line. It makes the system easier to fill and bleed, that's for sure. The cheapest, yet still very good reservoir is the Swiftech MCRES v.2.

Hmmm as I was reading I though you can replace filter with a reservoir, its actually additional... :(

Umm filter? We don't use filters for the liquid. Maybe filters on the fans for dust. You must be reading an older guide that I have read before myself. Don't have the link for it anymore.

The parts you need:

Rad
Fans
CPU block
Pump
Res
Tubings
barbs
clamps
liquid

Thats it?

A decent kit starts at $200 and it's just decent. The CPU block isn't great but it's okay.
http://www.petrastechshop.com/pecoba.html
Can't get cheaper than that for quality stuff.

Sorry...I misread that post. I thought you said "filler" and figured you meant the fillport to put on the end of your T-line. Definitely no filters in the kit, unless you're seeing something I'm not. Since you're considering just starting out, might I suggest reading a Water Cooling Guide for Beginners?

Sorry, very new to this, I meant Rad :) and yes will read that guide, tyvm :)

Sorry...I misread that post. I thought you said "filler" and figured you meant the fillport to put on the end of your T-line. Definitely no filters in the kit, unless you're seeing something I'm not. Since you're considering just starting out, might I suggest reading a Water Cooling Guide for Beginners?

Back