• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU: What Wattage For My Rig?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arznmacz

These are the components I have in my pc but I only have a 500w power supply. I was wondering what would be recommended for my rig so I can start OCing. I went to Newegg and put in my specs into the power supply calculator and it came out to 525w I'm guessing that's what I need to run my system vanilla. So I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could tell me what PSU I should be running.

Q8200 CORE 2 QUAD 2.33Ghz
ASUS P5QL/EPU
NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800GT
2x2Gb OCZ Reaper HPC OCZ2RPR10662G
Western Dig. WD6401AALS-00L3B2 ATA

What brand of psu is your 500w? if its a corsair or OCz or another reputable brand than your fine. If its an unbranded "dell" powersupply than you might want to consider a new one.

Brand/Model of PSU would be most helpful in this situation really. If you have a quality PSU (Corsair, Silverstone, Antec, PCPnC) thats 500W you SHOULD be ok. The key also is not the wattage of the unit, its the available amperage on the 12v rail(s).

Brand/Model of PSU would be most helpful in this situation really. If you have a quality PSU (Corsair, Silverstone, Antec, PCPnC) thats 500W you SHOULD be ok. The key also is not the wattage of the unit, its the available amperage on the 12v rail(s).
An 8800GT can use up to 250W
A Q8200 can use up to 200W

Those are the two biggest power drainers in your system, they both take 12V, so you could need up to 37.5 A on your 12V rail(s). Therefore 500w is cutting it close, I'd go for 600w if I were you.

Corsair HX620 should be perfect.

An 8800GT can use up to 250W
A Q8200 can use up to 200W

Those are the two biggest power drainers in your system, they both take 12V, so you could need up to 37.5 A on your 12V rail(s). Therefore 500w is cutting it close, I'd go for 600w if I were you.

Corsair HX620 should be perfect.
8800gt does not use anywhere close to 250W (I can see 150W overclocked).....and the only way a Q8200 (95W CPU stock BTW) can use 200W is if it miraculously can manage over 4Ghz clockspeed with hefty volts (and you would need a beast of a mobo to get there). You are severely overestimating power consumption on that GPU...and overestimating on the CPU.

A corsair 520HX would be fine, 620HX would be better for any future needs like GPU and CPU upgrades (GT200/300 and i5/i70). I ran a Q9450 at 3.8Ghz and 8800GT overclocked and volt modded with a 520HX and she barely broke a sweat when folding. ;)

EDIT: The first google result I pulled up for supporting links shows an 8800gt @ 245W max load in 3dmk06. Thats the ENTIRE system
http://arstechnica.com/hardware/new...sumption-of-the-ati-radeon-hd-3800-series.ars

Here is another...http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3140&p=13
NVIDIA quotes the max power of the 8800 GT as 105W

Last edited:
This.

Plenty of power with 500watt power supply, especially a high quality one.

-D

Hey Diaz! :beer:

Yep, a Corsair HX520 would eat that rig alive! :)

I'm about 300 watts here with a 20% CPU overclock.

Last edited:
Most Raidmax PSU's are pieces of crap and cant put out their rated wattage. You should still be fine, but I would personally look for a much higher quality unit.

Well my power supply is a Raidmax RX-500s. It came with my Raidmax Smilodon ATX-612WEBP. Fairly Cheap Combo.

Generally Raidmax quality = Powmax quality. Given that, I just had to post:

Review title: best power supply ever

Pros: This power supply owns your fase off. Every once in a while it shoots flames out the back grill. The first time my friends saw it happen they were like, "whoa you rule!" One time I was at a LAN party and totally owning fools playing CSS. I got a rad headshot and this PSU started smoking and i was like this is satans power supply! at that point i knew i was in love with it. I tested the 12v line and it was putting out 15V, how sweet is that??? thats like 3 extra volts of pure power, which is I'm sure is totaly upping my megahurts. Oh yeah and at least once a day this thing will make rad noise like an electric guitar wailing. If your hardcore, this PSU is for you.

Cons: None at all. this thing weighs only like 1/2 pound so your LAN rig is way easy to carry. I cant even believe how sweet this thing is.

Other Thoughts: This power supply is for true hardcore overclockers! if you had problems with it before its only because you dont even know what you are doing!!!!

EDIT: So I'm not completely OT, i'd go with a Corsair, OCZ or Antec 500w. They're easy to find and you'll sometimes find a free shipping or better deal.

My 620hx is still going strong .
Ran my chip @ 4.5 and 2 8800gt's overclocked just fine so another vote for the corsairs

Back