• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temps with Nexus Quite CPU Cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PCSOFTN

Registered
I am overclocking a Q6600 to 3.0GHZ using A Nexus PHT-7750 SkiveTek® Radial Quiet Solid Cooper CPU Cooler for Intel® Socket 775 http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/sku=PHT-7750.html
I am running the fan at full speed. Do temps of 45 idle with 51C and 58C spikes under load seem out of line? The 58C spikes happen when I am running several CPU intensive applications at the same time.

Attachments

• nexus.jpg
    nexus.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
That seems about right, really.
That cooler beats the stock one nicely, but is well behind a 120mm tower cooler.

I would say that those temps are about the best you will get with that heatsink, which isn't a great choice, sorry to say. No heatpipes are used in the design and has relatively small fin area compared to better choices such as a TRUE or Megahelams or most any other heatpipe design. It's also very heavy (690 grams) for using those stupid pushpins for mounting, IMO.

With a TRUE, Megahelams or most any other modern heatpipe cooling solution, your temps probably won't get much over 40 C while running Linpac and would idle in the 20's at your present overclock.

OMG, I ran Prime 95 for just 5 min using Core Temp to monitor temps. I hit 78C in just that 5 min. I need another cooler. What is my best option? I will be backing off the overclock untill I get another cooler.

Do you think that trying to re-seat the existing cooler my help in the mean time until I can get another cooler?

OMG, I ran Prime 95 for just 5 min using Core Temp to monitor temps. I hit 78C in just that 5 min.
That's why I said to you to monitor your cores because I've had a feeling that you look at CPU temperature not core temperatures. :)
As for a new heatsink you have a choice between top dogs (Prolimatech Megahalems, TRUE or Zalman 10X) and others (Scythe Mugen 2, Coolermaster Z600/V8, Noctua NH-U12P, Zerotherm Nirvana/Zen, Cogage TRUE Spirit, Thermolab Baram, or HDT ones like Xigmatek Thor's Hammer or CoolerMaster Hyper 212+).

That's why I said to you to monitor your cores because I've had a feeling that you look at CPU temperature not core temperatures. :)
As for a new heatsink you have a choice between top dogs (Prolimatech Megahalems, TRUE or Zalman 10X) and others (Scythe Mugen 2, Coolermaster Z600/V8, Noctua NH-U12P, Zerotherm Nirvana/Zen, Cogage TRUE Spirit, Thermolab Baram, or HDT ones like Xigmatek Thor's Hammer or CoolerMaster Hyper 212+).

Thank you so much for your feedback. I have had my eye on the Cooler Master V8 because it is I7 ready and I am considering a I7 build in the near future.

I'd get an HDT-s1283, personally.
Better cooling then a V8 for a lot less money. Pretty sure they're i7able these days, too.

HDT-S1283

Thought I would revisit this post. I have looked at the HTD-S1283 and the thing that concerns me is that it is mounted with the LGA-775 push pins. These pins have been a problem for me in the past when I have changed motherboards. One has to be very careful with these pins as I have thought they were seated properly only to realize that they may be damaged or just plain useless. Anyone have any ideas on how to deal with these pins. I have had them wear out and be useless.

Crossbow

Great, I didn't know that you could use the crossbow assembly.

Back