• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I cant deal with my MoBo's two heatsinks around CPU, their temps are crazy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

william_90

Registered
990FXA-GD65 with AMD 8350

those with these names on, "MSI" & "Military Class"

five_pictures1_2401_20110531112823.jpg

I overclocked to 4.4 with 4.8v and everything's temps are under 45 and maybe goes for 50 in full load but these two heatsinks cross 75 and cause system crash
currently I've just faced a normal 120mm fan on "MSI" one, a lil angling toward the other one but nothing happens just decreased the heat rising, wont stop it at any level
i used a smaller fan beside the 12cm one to no avail, even using silicon on "MSI" heatsink to stick it to a CPU FAN with a heatsink mounted, nothing, the temp didnt transmit to the CPU FAN's heatsink, i realized for doing that i need pressurizing the junction but this stupid MSI heatsink wont let it, its not flat as its seems from above

the other one is kinda hiding under a big cooler Z600 with two fans mounted

when running occt or p95 and cpu load is 100 this happens but when playing games in full load the temp stuck at 60/65 sometime getting close to 70

really need help
thank you

William you could try getting 2-3 50mm fans and using double sided tape mounting them directly on the heatsinks. I'm not sure if they would fit under the Z600 though. In addition what case is the setup in? Does it have a area for a fan on the backside of the motherboard?

Pretty sure he's alredy tried that manny. He has a thread going in the CPU section already. The other option is to mount a fan behind the MOBO near the CPU like so

Capturefan.PNG

The MSI mobo is really giving him a hard time!

Thanks Johan I've tried that it seems nothing can heat this bi**h down
its funny when i think, i need water cooling for these lil heatsinks while i didnt water cool my cpu

The biggest problem you can sometimes have to deal with when using these big CPU coolers is they can mess with your airflow around your memory and socket area. The unfortunate part about you using an MSI board is that we see so few of them in the AMD section that we really don't get a chance to see what their tendencies are when we OC them and how they deal with the added heat that can be generated. When you say ...... these two heatsinks cross 75 and cause system crash ...... do you mean that your socket temp is getting above 75*C and causing your crash? If so you most likely have some dad spots ir regards to your case airflow. What case are you using? is there any way you can get more airflow from the bottom of your case moving to the top of your case?

990FXA-GD65 with AMD 8350

those with these names on, "MSI" & "Military Class"

I overclocked to 4.4 with 4.8v and everything's temps are under 45 and maybe goes for 50 in full load but these two heatsinks cross 75 and cause system crash
currently

thank you bassnut, i figured it out, mounted the gpu on lower socket and made room for two 12cm fans in push/pull formation which made that room quite cool right now

just back to overclocking,
i've a question. is 1,68 voltage too high, coz thats sorta the only voltage i can find for my rams
their frequency is set to auto, XMP enabled 9-9-9... 1600
i cant hit 1.5 volt, in cpuz, it says 1.5v

Last edited:
You should see the rams requirements on the side of the ram. I do not have any low voltage ram like yours mine are all 1.65v and I tend to run them a bit higher then speck at around 1.7v a habit I got into back when I first started OCing with my PII. Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with it but someone with more knowledge with ram might give you a better answer.

thank you bassnut, i figured it out, mounted the gpu on lower socket and made room for two 12cm fans in push/pull formation which made that room quite cool right now

just back to overclocking,
i've a question. is 1,68 voltage too high, coz thats sorta the only voltage i can find for my rams
their frequency is set to auto, XMP enabled 9-9-9... 1600
i cant hit 1.5 volt, in cpuz, it says 1.5v

Might want to solve this STATE CLOSED (In the advanced post settings, figure it out) in a post and work a new post in the CPU forum for your needs. Stating CLOSED in big letters on your last post here will kill it faster.

The CPU forum has more experts dealing with overclocking the forums and don't visit the cooling forum as much. So you can focus your efforts.

Back