• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with understanding my CPU voltage+temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PortalBreaker

Hello.

I have just built my very first PC, (http://speccy.piriform.com/results/jCuZllNFyLVvdjFSD6lDWTs), and I was wondering if I could get some professional help regarding my system and its behaviour.
I am having trouble understanding it, and need help pointing out if it's working as it should, or if I need to adjust anything.
For the record, I have NOT tweaked or done anything. Everything is set @ default.

Firstly, I don't understand my temps. They fluctuate a lot!!
With Ryzen 2600x + Hydro H100i CPU cooler, the temps go from 35C-60C when browsing/idle use.
If this is normal, then it's fine. But to me it seems very weird, not to mention the fans reach 1600RPM sometimes, which is really annoying to listen to when watching a youtube video.

Secondly, when using Ryzen Master, I get these readings from default settings ( ). I have highlighted what I believe is to be important.
The "Peak Speed" is always fluctuating between 4,125ghz-4,25ghz, and the CPU Voltage is fluctuating between 1,425v-1,5v.
Isn't that INSANELY high for being stock settings?!

My system is newly built.
Everything is running fine, games do as they should, max settings with 100-150fps.
Temps do fine during gameplay. Not exceeding 65C, as expected.
During stress-test (PRIME95), it stabilized around 65C-68C, but I noticed it only managed to do 75% load (???)
Anyone being able to support me here?
I am not experienced with overclocking or tweaking.
And for all I know this is all normal, but I highly doubt it.
Also, clean system, no dust, two intake front 120mm fans, one back 120mm exhaust, 240mm radiator top exhaust

Any questions and help is HIGHLY appreciated!!

TL;DR
Not experienced with overclock/tweaking
CPU voltage seems really high
Temp fluctuates a lot during idle, fans adjust automatically, really annoying.
Temps almost the same during gameplay and during PRIME95.
Normal? Not normal?
Help please.

RYZEN 2600x
HYDRO H100i CPU COOLER

Last edited:
The temperatures are normal with Windows background tasks and web browsing. When running prime95 how many threads did it show in number of torture test threads to run? I have noticed that processors with SMT the utilization reported by Windows is incorrect.

Thanks for your reply. I will run another stress-test right away and come back to you in 10 minutes.

The processor voltage fluctuation is power saving features and is normal running defualt.

What version of prime95 are you using? It should be 12 threads used. Post the screenshot locally here. The stock voltage specification is set by AMD and it will last it's useful lifetime+ and then sum.

Sorry for late reply, really am!
I will manually set it to 12 threads later today when I get home from work.
It seems it was set to 8 threads by default for some reason.
Screeshots will be provided.

Use the Go Advance option on lower right corner of any new post window to attach pics. Crop them first. Snipping Tool is great for this.

Check the thread window arrangement in Prime95. They can cover each other up. With these high core processors it can be a challenge to see all the cores thread workers in the Prime95 user interface window.

He can stack 6+6 windows side by side inside prime95. That way they're not to thin where you won't see anything.

He can stack 6+6 windows side by side inside prime95. That way they're not to thin where you won't see anything.

Really? That would be handy. How do you do that? Is there a setting in preferences or something to automatically do that or do you have to drag them around manually?

Drag them mannually.

Easy way is to alternate every other window size dragging left side, then right side resizing them, and once you're done, drag downwards and upwards where you have space. That way you have perfect windows. (Except for very last window because you have uneven number of windows)

View attachment 199855
View attachment 199856
View attachment 199857

You can make "main" window skinny because it doesn't show a lot of info and substitute that space for last thread to make up for it

Thanks for the tip, and I really appreciate the help :)
Screenshots coming up with 12 active torture threads in 10 min, 6x6

Ok, here are threads main + 1-11
Stresstest.PNG

Here is the last thread, couldn't make it fit in unfortunately.

thread 12.PNG

The last sentence in each thread is removed to make room.
It simply said "Worker stopped!"

EDIT: Threads are placed with Main @ top left, #1 top right, #2 under main, #3 under #1 etc... I made it zigzag, so sorry if it looks busted

I don't know if it's relevant, but my load was at 100% when I used 12 torture threads.
Also, it peaked and stopped @ 71°C.
This was recorded with both Ryzen Master, and CAM.

Additionally, I noticed both the voltage AND ghz-boost stabilized a lot more during the stress testing. It was leaning more towards a stable 4ghz, with 1,4voltage, compared to my idle settings which are higher.

Coincidence?

Your temps seem pretty normal to me from this most recent post but you need to allow the tests to run for more than 10 minutes to get an accurate picture of max load temps. Let it run for about 20 minutes. To make sure of stability when overclocking run the test for 2 hr. There are some more realistic stress testers out there like Realbench and AIDA64 Extreme that don't quite drive temps up so high.

Ok, thanks for your input.
If temps are the same during the 20 min interval, I will rest my case regarding heat.

Now, you have any idea why my CPU voltage + ghz-boost stabilizes and decreases during stress testing, compared to when being idle?
Isn't that really weird?

I just find it fundamentally wrong for it to increase its stats when not doing anything.
It just seems so out of place.

It can increase higher when not loaded heavily, but when the load increases, it begins to use more watts and drops turbo lower. My laptop does the same. It will stay at 2.9 when almost idle and drops to 2.7 when loaded

Ok, thanks for your input.
If temps are the same during the 20 min interval, I will rest my case regarding heat.

Now, you have any idea why my CPU voltage + ghz-boost stabilizes and decreases during stress testing, compared to when being idle?
Isn't that really weird?

I just find it fundamentally wrong for it to increase its stats when not doing anything.
It just seems so out of place.

That's normal behaviour for a 2700X. When idling or light load some threads hit up to 4.35 GHz in my case, this will cause voltage spikes to accommodate that speed. The Ryzen will boost all cores at a lower clock (4.0) because of the workload a slightly lighter load will boost maybe 6-8 threads to 4.1 etc.. here's a pic I took from my review which come straight from AMD this will illustrate what I mean.

ave-clock-speed-624x380.jpg

Back