• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

W7 upgrade worth it for me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jaym14

Here's my new build http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=6277987#post6277987

For those that don't want to look - its a new i7920 build
I overclock & bench for fun, and do lots of online gaming. My computer is not used for business (other than ebay and the similar)

I already own a copy of vista64 ultimate and what I'm wondering is if you guys think upgrading to W7 for my new build would be worth it for me given my usage? Or should I just stick with Vista64?

I'm not a Vista hater, I'm just interested in performance. If W7 offers a significant performance increase than I will consider it.

I upgraded yesterday and feel that it was definitely worth it for me.

I know its getting cliche at this point, but it really is a lot more smooth and streamlined than any Vista install I used ever was. I haven't done a whole lot of gaming yet, but I have heard that people have noticed improvements in frame rate / stable settings.

It just feels modern in a way that no other OS I've used has been able to do.

Last edited:
I never really had any issues with Vista myself, but I prefer 7. With the same programs running, I use about 200 mb less RAM. It just feels faster.

The only think I dislike is it says that Acronis 10 is incompatable with Win 7 and won't let me run it even under compatability mode. Kind of funny since it ran fine on the RC version. I guess they found issues during the RC phase. I can run it from a Part PE CD, but it's so much easier to do it from Windows.

pretty much I'm interested in gaming performance... I found some preliminary bench mark results which showed W7 to have an edge but I wanted to see if anyone had any first hand experience and if they upgrade would be worth while.

Back