• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

anandtech's SSD update

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ashura

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3667&p=1

Notable points:

1. Official TRIM support has been released for OCZ & SuperTalent Indilix drives and Intel's G2 drives.

2. The various TRIM firmwares only work with W7 provided storage drivers. To get around this, Indilix and Intel both have released manual wiper tools that can TRIM within Windows.

3. The TRIM firmware update boosts the 160GB G2's seq. write speed to 100MB/s.

4. Kingston releases a sub-$100 AMIR 40GB X25-M G2 drive which suffers from a large decrease in max seq. write speed, a noticeable decrease in max. seq. read speed, and slight but not alarming decreases in everything else. Good buy for those with light OS installs wanting the SSD experience without forking the cash for a bigger drive.

The Intel speed increase has me interested. The initial X25-M G1 firmware update made everyone wonder whether or not Intel would be increasing speeds down the line with more updates. Odd that it doesn't do anything for the 80GB drive though.

Also interested in possibly getting the Kingston drive, it sounds like a great upgrade for my gaming box.

EDIT: Whoops, Shiggity created a thread about the update before I did. Might be a good idea for a mod to move this post into his thread.

Last edited:
From what I understand, 1.3 allowed for manual use of the TRIM wiper tool whereas 1.4 allows for automatic TRIM. Let me know if that's incorrect.

The Intel SSD Toolbox says my X-25M G2 is not supported...nice...

Maybe I need to update firmware...

Last edited:
4. Kingston releases a sub-$100 AMIR 40GB X25-M G2 drive which suffers from a large decrease in max seq. write speed, a noticeable decrease in max. seq. read speed, and slight but not alarming decreases in everything else. Good buy for those with light OS installs wanting the SSD experience without forking the cash for a bigger drive.
This looks like it might be a good choice for my laptop.

wasnt trim already supported by 1.3 firmware for OCZ Vertex drives.

FW 1.3 has GC in it not TRIM ,GC is an automatic running (during idle or S1 sleep) of the OCZ Wiper tool which has to be run manuely ..

New FW for Vertex & Agility series includeing both EX series is on the forum

FW 1.4 is TRIM & FW 1.41 is with more agressive GC for those running a raid setup which cannot recieve TRIM commands as of yet....

Sounds like a netbook win to me. :)

Theres some caveats though; no TRIM support (yet) and can't be updated with Intel firmware despite being Intel hardware.

Last edited:
Theres some caveats though; no TRIM support (yet) and can't be updated with Intel firmware despite being Intel hardware.
With the issues we're seeing, I don't think you'd want to update the firmware anyway. :p

Sounds like a netbook win to me. :)

For me, I am going to wait until fast 120GB SSD's are affordable before I put them in my laptop
Though it is nice to see 40GB go under 100 bucks

Back