• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is 1 SSD better than 2xVelociraptors (raid0)?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dhc0329

Registered
Since no TRIM's supported on raided SSD drives, I am thinking about just getting 1 SSD as a system drive.

Do you think I will get noticeable boost in performan over raided 2x velociraptors or is this just waste of $$ and effort?

If you don't need a lot of space, a SSD will be substantially faster than VR drives. Not in pure throughput, but in seek times. You won't see a speed increase moving large files between hard drives, but if you are loading lots of small files (In example: games) or have multiple I/O processes using the drive, you will see a massive difference.

Oh yes, a single SSD is much better that a pair of Velociraptors in RAID 0.

Yes, without a doubt. This is a great, complete answer:

If you don't need a lot of space, a SSD will be substantially faster than VR drives. Not in pure throughput, but in seek times. You won't see a speed increase moving large files between hard drives, but if you are loading lots of small files (In example: games) or have multiple I/O processes using the drive, you will see a massive difference.

It'll be faster in every aspect except when moving large files.

so if I am running Vista x64, I have no TRIM support so I have to run the gabage collector program manually?

dang, I was just about to order ocz summit 120gb w/ write speed up to 200mb/s as it appears to be the best deal but realized that it has no firmware support, so no GC and TRIM.

What would be the best options for 120GB ssd need?

so if I am running Vista x64, I have no TRIM support so I have to run the gabage collector program manually?

Depends on the drive. Some of them do it on their own even when the system is S1 sleeping. Which one ya looking at?

dang, I was just about to order ocz summit 120gb w/ write speed up to 200mb/s as it appears to be the best deal but realized that it has no firmware support, so no GC and TRIM.

I got myself a OCZ Vertex Turbo. They have a new firmware on the way with trim support in a week or 2. Their current manufacturered firmware has GC on it and all you need to do is go idle or log out of ur user on your PC and let it sit there (6hours at a time, 30min at a time for the next firmware).

I would recommend getting a OCZ Vertex drive, not a vertex turbo. It is a main stream drive and has many more FW releases for it and OCZ says they will be focusing on that SSD drive in particular.

A 2nd recommendation is the OCZ Agility drive, its slower then the vertex but it is the 2nd most popular drive from OCZ and thus firmware is kept up to date much more frequently then others.

Thideras has you covered.

I thought GC runs when the system is idle....

In november they are supposed to come out with a firmware tool for the Summit and it should support GC with the new firmware.

Ok, I just got myself regular OCZ vertex 256gb drive. I would prefer having Vista x64 as some of software I use do not work properly on Windows 7.

So do I only have GC support with this drive on Vista? How is GC compared to TRIM on Windows 7. At workst case I need to install Win 7.

@Zonnza
Why did you recommend the regular over turbo Vertex?
Although, I got the regular Vertex 256GB but it seems to indicate that turbo has 10% performance advantage...was there any known issue with turbo?

Mine came with FW 1.3 so I just flashed to 1.41_GC version but it gave me a fw download fail error at the end. When I checked the version with fw update tool, it said I have 1.41 so it might have updated the fw although it gave me an error. I am installing the Vista x64 now.

Can someone pls tell me if I am doing something wrong here as I am getting about the same bench result on HDPro (veloci-raid 0 vs vertex 256gb)? Only advantage I see here is the access time and cpu usage.

2x velociraptor (raid 0) - areca 1210
Min: 152 MB/sec
max: 230 MB/sec
AvG: 195 MB/sec
AT: 6.8 ms
Burst: 356 MB/Sec
CPU: 2.2%

Vertex 256GB
Min: 151 MB/sec
max: 214 MB/sec
AvG: 210 MB/sec
AT: 0.1 ms
Burst: 187 MB/Sec
CPU: -1.0%

What's even more disappointing is that I am only getting 5.9 on Winows 7 rating.
I have FW 1.4 w/ TRIM....

Only option to change the disk setting is under the device manager where I could turn-off windows write-cache....Is there any other setting to tune this up?

You've gone from two disks to one and the performance is about the same? Good deal. Also, check the random read and write speeds. Sequential min/max isn't going to tell you much about how it'll perform in real world use.

edit: Oh yeah, the Windows rating is pretty meaningless. Throw another SSD in RAID with the one you have if you really want it higher, but then you lose TRIM :-/

What's even more disappointing is that I am only getting 5.9 on Winows 7 rating.
I have FW 1.4 w/ TRIM....

Only option to change the disk setting is under the device manager where I could turn-off windows write-cache....Is there any other setting to tune this up?
Try something like AS SSD Benchmark.

In conclusion aside from benchmarking scores I see there is a noticeable increase in performance in almost every aspects, including boot time, files transfer, installation, program executions, etc with much less heat and space occupation.

My next target is to have 3 x Agility EXs in raid 0 on Areca 1210 as soon as Areca begins to support TRIM.

Anyone has a link to ATTO download so I can verify if TRIM is working on my Windows 7?

FYI, TRIM support has nothing to do with the RAID controller. It's the drives themselves. Glad you like your new drive :) Care to post a couple benchies?

Back