• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to do with all the computer junk

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocClock aka MadClocker

Should I use it for wallpaper, or scrap it, or see how to get all the gold out of the traces? I have boxes of old token ring nic's socket 3 mobos, pci and isa video cards and modems up the wazoo and a few specialty cards in various forms..I even have a compaq backplane server board without the cpu card.
My stacks of junk are getting out of hand. I even found a board with a P166 and EDO simms in my shed just lying there wanting a case to live in. It must still work because I haven't thrown it out yet, although I can't think of much use for it besides a door stop.

I know, I'll get a clay pigeon launcher and use them for target practice.
"PULL....Kaboom" and pieces rain down on the plain.
Ah, maybe I'll just go fishing instead and clean out the boxes some other day. :)

If it's stuff you don't want anymore then try posting it cheap in the classifides. Someone will probably see something they can use and pay a little for it. Older hardware is always fun, I know I have my collection of it :santa:

Go to craigslist

Post "Free computer stuff on curb at [address]"

Should be all gone within an hour.

I'd be glad to take some of those 486 parts off your hands, I've been kinda wanting to put such a system together, but good Socket 3 boards and VLB cards are kinda thin on the ground these days.

You might also try the Vintage Computer Forums, they've got a classified section as well as an auction site of sorts... any time somebody posts parts lots for free or cheap, people are on it like hyenas. (Me included. :D)

Don't throw them out. Keep them or recycle them or sell or give away. Just don't throw that stuff out. They have much more lead and more heavy metals than today's computer components.

Go to craigslist

Post "Free computer stuff on curb at [address]"

Should be all gone within an hour.

Steve,

That's an outstanding idea! I normally recycle for the neighborhood ever few years at our township recycle yard but your idea is even better. :thup:

We have electronic recycling every 2nd Saterday at the nearby college parking lot...they even unload it for you.
I wuz thinking of clustering them if possible, but the total processing power probably wouldn't come up to my quad :)

I'd be glad to take some of those 486 parts off your hands, I've been kinda wanting to put such a system together, but good Socket 3 boards and VLB cards are kinda thin on the ground these days.

You might also try the Vintage Computer Forums, they've got a classified section as well as an auction site of sorts... any time somebody posts parts lots for free or cheap, people are on it like hyenas. (Me included. :D)

now thats a good idea for me, i got a bunch of old computer stuff i need to get rid of

Wallpaper!!

Thats what i want to do... currently got an old 680i mobo on the wall... hopefully over the years it will accumulate and cover the entire wall... defines it as a computer room... need more stuff tho

if its sellable i put it on craigslist. Made some good money over the years taking peoples "junk" computers, puting ubuntu on it with openoffice.

but super old stuff.... id list for free on CL. or take to a recycling center.

Got procs from 8086 up to P3 and early AMD up to Tbird?

I am looking to make a shadowbox of as many of the different early procs as I can.

Dragon,

I have an AMD K6 233 is you want it (free LoL). Give me a PM if interested.

Should I use it for wallpaper, or scrap it, or see how to get all the gold out of the traces? I have boxes of old token ring nic's socket 3 mobos, pci and isa video cards and modems up the wazoo and a few specialty cards in various forms..I even have a compaq backplane server board without the cpu card.
My stacks of junk are getting out of hand. I even found a board with a P166 and EDO simms in my shed just lying there wanting a case to live in. It must still work because I haven't thrown it out yet, although I can't think of much use for it besides a door stop.

I know, I'll get a clay pigeon launcher and use them for target practice.
"PULL....Kaboom" and pieces rain down on the plain.
Ah, maybe I'll just go fishing instead and clean out the boxes some other day. :)

Do NOT attempt to get any gold out of this stuff. its a process that requires very specialized equipment and one wiff of some of this stuff when super melted is enough to put you down for good.

I also have over 100 old motherboards. Some almost half still in their original cases. I even acquired a couple of really old duel core with two p3 processors on the boards that still work! Was almost thinking of changing my shops name to Wizids computer bone yard. I too was thinking of using them for wall hangers and calling it the wall of shame but that's too much like work. Instead of giving them away I was thinking about ebay, Somebody is bound to give you something for it. Also I know that there are places around that buy really old ram and hard drives. There is one in NH. If anyone wants info on that send me a message or something and I'll get the info for you. George Carlin once said "If you nail two pieces of wood together that have never been nailed together before some smuck will buy it"

When EDO simms first became "free" at my local shop when I was down in VA, I grabbed a handful of it and upgraded my laser printer :) Works awesome.

As for the rest. Yeah curbside and wait for a recycle to come grab it :) The gold really comes from the CPUs more than anything else I think. I do not see it being worth it unless you ahve hundreds of them

ben333, South eastern NH why do you ask are you looking for something Like an old motherboard? Or do you have an older computer that your attempting to fix? Let me know!

If you still have them, also look up Freecycle and see if there's a user group in your area. Post it there and you will get quite a few responses in an hour.

When I tossed the original Rev A 233MHz iMac 2 years ago, I had to field about 30 emails all wanting them. Ended up contacting the very first email, and the person came and claimed it in a few hours later. Costs nothing but electricity for your computer to post Freecycle offer.

Back