• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIX2 enough for 5850 & i7 860?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Springbok

I've got a Black Ice Extreme 2 from my AMD 4400 rig and I was thinking about watercooling & overclocking my i7 860 & ATI 5850. I'd like to overclock the 860 so should I be thinking about a 3x120mm radiator? Or maybe adding another 120x2 to the back of my Armor? Or will the BIX2 be able to handle it? Maybe get a temperature probe and try out the BIX2 first?

Parts planned:
EK 5850 block
Apogee XT
I've also got my eye on the Corsair 800D case

I think you're going to need a 3x120 rad for an i7 + GPU setup. Or 2x120 rads. Either way, I don't think a 2x120 will handle that heat all by itself.

The stackables are not what they are cracked up to be.

1. They run in parrallel flow.
2. You are cooling one rad with the warmer air from the other.
3. You need some good fans sandwiched between the two.

I think you only get a 10% increase from the reviews I have read.

-1 for stackables. I think its the parallel flow and 2nd rad getting warm air that kills the idea. Good in theory (especially saving space), bad in practice. Edit: Doh. What DJ said. :p

For the 2x120 v. 3x120 - is it more than the 4th 120mm fan/rad area?

Hmm I'd like to avoid any external bits, so I'm leaning towards a 120.3 mounted in the front of the armor. What are the best 3x120mm rads?

MCR320
RX320
PA 120.3
Feser 120x3
Black Ice GTX

Not necessarily in that order....except for the last two. Either of those is not my personal choice. Feser is expensive and Black Ice has a reputation for being cheap...even though the GTX isn't bad.

i don't see how the parallel flow would hurt it... well in the case of the rads being different brands yes, but not with 2 swifty's.

if you can get another double hanging off the back that would be the best route to go.

Black Ice GTX radiators definitely aren't cheap daddyjaxx. They are just not recommended most of the time because of the high pressure needed to cool them. In Skinnee's recent tests, temperature wise, the GTX was the best radiator out there, bar none...as long as you can live with the noise.

I never said that the GTX was cheap... I recommended it, but BI does make some bad radiators. When was the last time that anyone has recommended a BIX crossflow rad or most of their lineup? Besides the GTX and new SR-1, both of which, you are correct, aren't cheap.

Speaking of not being cheap, this whole setup is going to cost me more than I anticipated. I might get a tower heatsink to get me near 4GHz and put the 5850 on the BIX2 for now. Thoughts?

You have a pump , you have your rad all you need is a cpu block , get that and leave your gpu on stock cooling. When you have extra funds just add another rad and a gpu block like a MCW60 . Much more economical plan:)

You have a pump , you have your rad all you need is a cpu block , get that and leave your gpu on stock cooling. When you have extra funds just add another rad and a gpu block like a MCW60 . Much more economical plan:)
+1
The stock cooling on ATI cards should be plenty to last you a bit and even OC a little. Not saying it's top of the line, but it won't melt on you as long as you make sure the fans are running at the right speed... they can get loud though.

I never said that the GTX was cheap... I recommended it, but BI does make some bad radiators. When was the last time that anyone has recommended a BIX crossflow rad or most of their lineup? Besides the GTX and new SR-1, both of which, you are correct, aren't cheap.
Sorry, I misunderstood your post.

Springbok, just FYI, it may not be easy to get that CPU to 4GHz, especially on air cooling. Some will and you may get a good batch, but a lot of them are topping out around 3.8-3.9 w/ HT enabled. Granted, I need a better block but 3.8 loaded with the loop in my sig is anywhere from 60-65C, depending on ambient.

Yeah of course you guys are right, better to do a CPU only loop for now. That 5850 EK block was just so hard to resist! Ordered the Swifty block for now.

Got the waterblock this morning, so after work I got the Apogee XT hooked up to the radiator...everything's installed & running nicely at 30*C according to speedfan (36*C after playing some Borderlands). 4 hours to switch from air to water :D I didn't crack open the Apogee to check the manufacturing quality, can't find my hex tools, but the pins all looked good from what I could see through the inlet & outlet.
Air:

Last edited:
Back