• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Puer Aeternus

Hi,
I am looking for some advice about upgrading my 8800gt and ive got a few questions:
I had my eyes set on the 5870 but I think I want to stick w/ Nvida for potential sli. what is a good performer/decent price card? Or a budget sli set up 2 x 260?

If I upgrade to the 200? series, will I be able to use my 8800 as a physx card?

If I can still use my 8800 or go sli, will I need to upgrade my PSU? (500w xfinity).
I know its a lot of questions, ive been out of the loop for a while and just recently came back to the forums.
thanks all!

a 500W should cope with 1 260. My 260 with a q9550 at stock (+ more) runs at about 487W under full load so not much headroom there.
Also you're probably better off going with ATI at the moment... DX11 is amazing and as soon as the GT300 series comes out then you should go back to Nvidia (if they're actually as good as they hype is making them)

With 2 8800's your PSU would probably explode =(

And if you did get a 200 series yes you can indeed use your 8800 as a PhysX card.

DX11 is awsome but it will take more than 1 year (possibly 2) till we see many games in DX11.
(and don't think having a dx11 card + windows 7 will make your actual games look better since they were coded in dx9-10 not dx11)

dx11 sdk hasn't come out yet, only in preview for codemasters (see dirt 2)

you should definitely upgrade all your computer, you can't just upgrade the graphics card (from what i see from your sig)

You can indeed put an ATI card with that sig but you can't run an ATI and an Nvidia card at the same time.

Also I don't think you need to do a total upgrade. Your CPU is fine for now and oyu have enough RAM and your mobo is pretty stable.

But your GPU does need to be upgraded. You should upgrade your GPU about twice as often as your CPU since GPU technology is advancing at such a rate.

Back