• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me find happiness before I deploy again (RAID questions)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twigglish

Ok so I know what RAID 0-5 is and the pro's and con's of each. I'm still having a hard time figuring out my route.
Here is all the details I have about my situation, in no particular order.
I've been chosen as the guy who is going to host the server for my section(no more than 15 people) when we get back to Afghanistan(summer at the latest).
I want to get a small RAID box that I'll be able to hook up to my laptop. A 5 drive box is good. 8 drive might be too big.
I already have 2x750GB drives. I also have some smaller drives. I think I got a 500, a 300 and 4x250's.
I also have plenty of data I want on the RAID setup to begin with, and the ability to add more regularly without a HUGE hassle. A little hassle is ok.
Here is my ideal setup specs:
Required: RAID box, 3-5 drive(5 is what I definitely want, no bigger), SOME type of parity for security, ability to add data without a huge hassle.
Hoping for but not REQUIRED: Ability to use different sized drives(If I'm right, I can only do this with something like JBOD which is unacceptable, so I'm willing to skip this), ability to expand the setup(Add more/larger drives at another time without big complications), small-sized box, MAX amount of space possible while still having some type of safety net in case a drive goes down, a setup that won't go down if 1 drive dies, a box that doesn't cost $600.
I'm sure I can't have all of those, but if you know of something that covers most, help me out.

Do the boxes on newegg(link) do the RAID for you or are these just enclosures that you need to use software RAID with?

I'm pretty sure that the category you linked to are just external RAID backplanes. *Some* of them will handle the RAID themselves. The issue is that most of them have to be hooked to a server that is then connected to the network. From what you described, you just need a simple fileserver servicing a simple p2p LAN. If that is true, you can eliminate the server from the equation and go with a multibay NAS. A NAS is similar to what you linked except they hook directly to the network and have a built in fileserver thus eliminating the need for a dedicated server machine.

A dedicated FreeNAS box is a custom built PC that has been purpose built to function as a NAS. Low cost hardware can be used because it is used for nothing more than serving files. FreeNAS is actually the name of the Linux distro used to manage it.

Ok, I see where I went wrong.
It might be cheaper to use this old PC I have as a NAS than trying to buy one from NewEgg. Crap they're expensive.That's why I was so eager to look at the RAID boxes....
That just brings up the issue of size. It's full size, and I have to ship it to Afghanistan. Then ship it back.

I don't have the details this minute because I'm at work.
Do you think it would be cheaper to build a complete mATX system(older parts, as a NAS box doesn't require much if I'm not mistaken.) and ship that than trying to ship a mid-full sized tower?

Just buy a crapo amd system and get a dell perc5i. You can run 8 devices off the perc5 and its all controlled via the card. Find one of those via cpu/mobo combos that has an 8x slot on it and your done.

So it was you in Afghanistan!

I could never remember if it was you or TweekerRus...

As for happiness: Get an icelandic woman!

Just buy a crapo amd system and get a dell perc5i. You can run 8 devices off the perc5 and its all controlled via the card. Find one of those via cpu/mobo combos that has an 8x slot on it and your done.

It's a matter of size. One, I have to ship it there. Two, I live in a 10x10 over there. Not much space, and definitely not much space to fit a full PC.
I'm thinking I'm just going to build a mATX system.

So it was you in Afghanistan!

I could never remember if it was you or TweekerRus...

As for happiness: Get an icelandic woman!

Yep, it was me. I'll be back there in about 5 months.

It's a matter of size. One, I have to ship it there. Two, I live in a 10x10 over there. Not much space, and definitely not much space to fit a full PC.
I'm thinking I'm just going to build a mATX system.

Yes, building mATX system is a good option, as the space you have mentioned is pretty small. Moreover, you get a lot of customization options too. Good decision Twigglish.

Have you considered one of the pre-made Windows Home Servers? Or maybe even make on up yourself out of that old PC?

I've just recently built one, and once set up, it takes care of backing up each PC/Laptop all by itself, plus you can set up file shares, etc... Add any sort of drive you can plug in - SATA / USB / FIREWIRE / E-SATA to the storage pool... it could care less. It will even back up external drives if you want.

The one I've built has now grown to 5 x 2tb green drives and still has a 1tb in there also, but eventually will probably have 8 x 2tb drives.

It will automatically duplicate folders that you tell it to, and the other great thing, is if the same file exists on several devices... it only backs that file up once... all the others simply get acknowledged and referred to the same file.. good space-saving technology.

Never run freeNAS but I'm pretty happy with WHS.

Building a PC for a NAS could work, however you'll need the mobo to support RAID, unless your plan on using OS RAID instead. Personally, I would go with a stand alone box. No OS license to worry about, or RAM/video to fail. Simple external box, with eSATA / USB for local transfers and ethernet for network transfers. I also would do 5 x 750 gig drives. Since you already have 2 of them, getting another three will not be too expensive. Then I would do RAID 5 giving you 3TB of space.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822102017

Have you considered one of the pre-made Windows Home Servers? Or maybe even make on up yourself out of that old PC?

I've just recently built one, and once set up, it takes care of backing up each PC/Laptop all by itself, plus you can set up file shares, etc... Add any sort of drive you can plug in - SATA / USB / FIREWIRE / E-SATA to the storage pool... it could care less. It will even back up external drives if you want.

The one I've built has now grown to 5 x 2tb green drives and still has a 1tb in there also, but eventually will probably have 8 x 2tb drives.

It will automatically duplicate folders that you tell it to, and the other great thing, is if the same file exists on several devices... it only backs that file up once... all the others simply get acknowledged and referred to the same file.. good space-saving technology.

Never run freeNAS but I'm pretty happy with WHS.

Building a PC for a NAS could work, however you'll need the mobo to support RAID, unless your plan on using OS RAID instead. Personally, I would go with a stand alone box. No OS license to worry about, or RAM/video to fail. Simple external box, with eSATA / USB for local transfers and ethernet for network transfers. I also would do 5 x 750 gig drives. Since you already have 2 of them, getting another three will not be too expensive. Then I would do RAID 5 giving you 3TB of space.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822102017

You guys both bring up really good points but an issue came up after further investigation. If I built some awesome standalone $600 box, I still have to build/buy something to use over there. It would have to be SUPER small, making it most likely not very powerful. By making my storage a usable PC I save a lot of space, and money.
I thank you greatly for the suggestions though. I'll definitely look into something like that when I get back for my home server.

Back