• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob subwoofer question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

So I currently have an old Altec Lansing 2.1 setup.

51RG8338CEL._SS400_.jpg

50 watts total, 26 watts RMS power it says...

How exactly is the system powered?? I know its a noob question, but does the sound card act as the amplifier or what?

How easy would it be to swap out the sub to my own one. I know about car audio and have built my own sub box in my wagon and it sounds great so I would love to replicate that for my computer.

I have an 8" Infinity 800W max 150W RMS subwoofer that I can use for the project. I can build a box very easily...
Then how do I hook it up to the computer through the subwoofer channel?

If you buy computer speakers they are generally self powered. The speakers themselves will have to be pluged into the wall and will contain their own amp.

computer audio cards will output a standardized line voltage usually like a headphone jack. only diffrence from a headphone jack being no volume adjustment. or most high end cards will have a digital output wich can be found on most newer "home audio" recievers/amps.

get yourself a class D amp with 2.1 output and you can power whatever sub and speakers you want with it.

Back