• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RTX Noob question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oldschool_OC

Registered
So playing around with my new 3070 in CP2077 the following results (4k):
Graphics setting = "Ray Tracing: Ultra" gives ~ 40fps
Graphics setting = "Ray Tracing: Medium" gives ~ 48fps
Graphics setting = "Ultra" (Ray Tracing disabled) gives ~ 30fps

The noob question is:
I thought Ray Tracing would lower framerates when enabled. So what am I missing?

Driver used is the latest "Studio" Nvidia release (yes, am aware better fps may be obtained with the "Game Ready" version).

For now I have settled on "Ray Tracing: Medium" with some minor finesse to other settings that gives a solid 60 fps (my 4k display maxes at 60 Hz anyhow).

If you're using the preset profiles it's disabling DLSS as well when you turn RTX off if memory serves ?

Yep, as Kenrou stated, check to see if it is using DLSS [deep learning super sampling]

If you're using the preset profiles it's disabling DLSS as well when you turn RTX off if memory serves ?

Thank you! This is correct.

So just tried:
Graphics setting = "Ultra" (Ray Tracing disabled) (DLSS = Auto) gives ~ 71fps

I was unaware DLSS was even a thing. Maybe should have titled post "DLSS Noob Question" haha.

Haha, yep, it came out for the 2000-series nVidia cards and leads to a huge performance boost in many cases with minimal, if any, discernible difference in picture quality. Basically, it is using machine learning to super sample lower resolution images to look like a higher-res without the performance loss of rendering the higher resolution.

Flexing your card will definitely get you an extra few frames lol... This is far too obvious.

There is no way you have bought a 3070 and don't know about DLSS. Especially when your benchmarking.

People are strange, when you're a stranger..

Flexing your card will definitely get you an extra few frames lol... This is far too obvious.

There is no way you have bought a 3070 and don't know about DLSS. Especially when your benchmarking.

People are strange, when you're a stranger..

Coming from a 1060, never got interested in the 20 series, and gave up hope of getting a 30 series before they even (didn't) hit the shelves.
Never even looked at the reviews for 30 series because they were not gonna be available.
So yeah, it is possible to not know about DLSS before getting a 30 series card.

Back